• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Picked up my G. pulchra - Photos!

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I'm already an annoying person opening up another new thread for this one spider, but that is how excited I am. I' also madly in love with this little eight legged miracle.
I am surprised at how small they are. I don't think I am going to be able to keep a 1/4" spider alive... I'm being serious.
I am not moving them out of this pill bottle until they are bigger. After all the trouble I went to with making that enclosure perfect - they won't be living it in for a long time.
They are adorable, calm and already the perfect photography model! I'm gushing!

Attachments

• _DSC8649-2-2.jpg
    _DSC8649-2-2.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 45
  • _DSC8612-2.jpg
    _DSC8612-2.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 48
  • _DSC8621-2.jpg
    _DSC8621-2.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 48
  • _DSC8585-2-3.jpg
    _DSC8585-2-3.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 46
  • _DSC8632-2-2.jpg
    _DSC8632-2-2.jpg
    5.4 MB · Views: 50
  • _DSC8633-2-2.jpg
    _DSC8633-2-2.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 43

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I've always advocated against handling tarantulas and I have never handled my others, except for two times with Evelyn, but I have this overwhelming desire to handle this little one. They are not, in the least bit, intimidating.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've always advocated against handling tarantulas and I have never handled my others, except for two times with Evelyn, but I have this overwhelming desire to handle this little one. They are not, in the least bit, intimidating.
Ditto that on the handling, with the exception of the tiny ones. Go for it. They're hardy guys. I handle my littles quite a bit as they always seem to want to climb the walls when i do water or feeding.

LIke @Enn49 said raising the small ones is easy. My smallest so far has been 1/8" and he's doing just fine after his molt :) he's about 1/4" now i'd guess. you'll love how they tackle their prey like they're an 8 legged 15" monster :D

VanessaS

3 Year Member
When they are in premoult, do they also get a dark patch on the underside of their abdomens? I noticed in my ventral photos of them that they have a dark patch almost in the center of their abdomens on the underside.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
they get the dark patch on the top of the abdomen, and like @Kymura said their whole abdomen goes black and shiny like it's been oiled. Both of my G. pulchras are like this now so i'm hoping we'll have 2 molts soon :)

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I keep mine in 2oz deli cups. They live in that for about a year and a half before moving them to 20oz deli cups where they live for another year, then into a gallon size enclosure for two years, then into their final 10gal encolsure. By this time they are a solid 3"+

Latest posts