• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Phidippus regius egg sac now x 3

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tallahassee's babies are spreading out inside the cocoon now so they're not as obvious as they were. I dropped a few micro crickets I the container yesterday and mum's immediate response was to reinforce the web so I guess she's telling me that they're not ready to eat yet.

View attachment 21843
Nice!

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
Yes, I couldn't pull it early, I'd feel terrible lol
yeah I don't like the thought of pulling the egg sack I can only imagine that it would stress the mother losing her babies before she even seen one of them... kinda sad for her when you think about it.. for all she knows a predator removed them and ate her slings :/

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
yeah I don't like the thought of pulling the egg sack I can only imagine that it would stress the mother losing her babies before she even seen one of them... kinda sad for her when you think about it.. for all she knows a predator removed them and ate her slings :/

I couldn't have pulled the sac as mum had webbed it securely to the side of the container then constructed a cocoon over herself and the egg sac. Pulling it would have damaged the sac too much and probably killed many of the eggs too. Tarantulas on the other hand produce an almost round sac that they can move around so much easier to pull.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Judging by Tallahassee's reaction when I put the crickets in it would appear that they do care for their babies.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd save the sac if you can then you could try gently brushing the eggs on the floor onto a piece of paper and you may save some.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's certainly an odd one, I suppose it could be that she knows they are infertile but both Ts that I've had produce infertile sacs have still cared for them as if they were ok.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Fingers crossed the ones you've saved will do ok. I can understand you being in a huff with her though.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
I've saved what I could, I just picked what was left of it and scooped up all the sub and put it in a feeder tub with papers towels in it... Talk about beg excited then raging in one day... I could seriously ping that horrible mother out the window! :(

Am so sorry to hear this happened.
I hope that, with a makeshift incubator, you are able to save plenty of babies.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I sprayed the cocoon today and almost all the babies moved towards the damp patch
DSCF8735.JPG

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As Tallahassee didn't return to her brood, I decided to rehouse her. I'm thinking she may be in premoult as she seems to be slipping quite a bit. At least now I can deal with her babies when they emerge without the worry of her escaping.

DSCF8808 (3).JPG

DSCF8809 (3).JPG

Latest posts