• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Phidippus regius egg sac now x 3

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've had suspicions for a few days that Tallahassee was up to something in her web and this morning I found this
DSCF8321 (2).JPG

I hear the patter of many tiny feet :T::T::T:. I guess I'd better put some mesh over the air vents to stop babies escaping when they hatch otherwise they'll be everywhere always supposing it is fertile (the shop did warn of the possibility)

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've just found this on Arachnos.eu:-
During their active life from March to September females lay up to four broods with the total of about 400 eggs. The maximum production counted during studies of the species was 715 (Edwards 1980). The number of eggs in each following brood progressively decreases. The jumping spiders build their own silk nests, which have an elliptic structure and have emergency exits on each side. They use these shelters not only to rest, where they hide after dusk, but they go through their exuvial stages and raise their offspring here as well.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is very exciting :)

If not daunting :eek:.

I've not found much on breeding them yet and my biggest worry is getting the tiny slings out of their mums container. I can't remove the sac as she's webbed herself in with it and it's stuck to the side of the container so I'll have to wait until they begin to hatch. I have covered the air vents with a very fine mesh so hopefully I won't have little jumpers escaping around the living room :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Awesome! There's a link in the jumping spider thread I had for breeding them. You may check phids.net also.

Hopefully that egg sac is a good one, I was bummed my grey jumper laid a dud.

2 months or so you should have a few hundred little ones

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
EDIT: They're not selling any lol
Phids only sells between May and October. check in June, they usually have a nice selection.

Thank you. I already had the Kozmicdreams one and I also found this https://melissamcewen.gitbooks.io/j...re-and-keeping/content/raising_juveniles.html. Apparently they can hatch in 1-4 weeks :eek:
must depend on species then. unless my memory is going ;) the grey jumper i had was an average 2 months until hatching.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just to update on Tallahassee's sac. I tried to candle it but not easy as she has webbed a leaf to the other side of the cocoon but I did manage to get this today.

DSCF8613 (3).JPG

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
How exciting! You said the store warned that it might happen.. so how long have you owned it before the egg sack? I can't imagine how exciting it must be to buy a spider and get a surprise of eggs lol

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How exciting! You said the store warned that it might happen.. so how long have you owned it before the egg sack? I can't imagine how exciting it must be to buy a spider and get a surprise of eggs lol

She arrived on the 6th December and the egg sac appeared on Christmas Day. I'm torn between excited and scared. I always said I wouldn't breed Ts and now I'm being thrown into it with a tiny spider, mum is only 1" dls.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She arrived on the 6th December and the egg sac appeared on Christmas Day. I'm torn between excited and scared. I always said I wouldn't breed Ts and now I'm being thrown into it with a tiny spider, mum is only 1" dls.
you'll need to stock up on FFF. If i recall the won't eat until after their 2nd molt.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
What a christmas gift :) If you have more slings then you can handle and live in America then you could try selling the extras to lllreptile seeing as how they do like to buy CB slings. Just a suggestion :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What a christmas gift :) If you have more slings then you can handle and live in America then you could try selling the extras to lllreptile seeing as how they do like to buy CB slings. Just a suggestion :)
She's UK ;) i didn't know LLL dealt with true spiders.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
yea I've seen lllreptile sell trap door spiders and a few varieties of jumping spiders its just nowhere near as common as tarantulas.. I guess its less likely a pet owner will breed species of true spiders? or maybe its just more complicated I dunno

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You'll have plenty already, maybe order 75? :D I don't know if I'm envious or glad mine hasn't produced a sac haha! Think of the money and the excitement :)

I haven't many spare, I use them to store moults in. I might go for 100 until I see how many there are. The money will be nice if I can sell them all :)