• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pasimachus depressus

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Also known as "Warrior beetles". Got two sexed pairs from a friend, these guys are so cool!

Male:
Pasimachusdep%25232.JPG

Pasimachusdep%25233.JPG

Here you can see the metallic blue margin along the elytra and pronotum:
Pasimachusdep%25234.JPG

Female:
Pasimachusdep%25235.JPG

Pasimachusdep%25236.JPG

Pasimachusdep%25237.JPG

Hopefully I'll be able to breed these guys, I'll certainly try my hardest! :D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I wouldn't swear to it, I'm not a beetle guy, but those look like the wild ones around my area that leave perfectly round burrows alongside my house..they look very very similar..

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We have something similar if not the same here, they burrow by the tree limbs bordering my azalias. Pecan tree across the way dropped a couple long straight limbs so edged in front of them, makes it easier to weed-eat lol. Very cool.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
I wouldn't swear to it, I'm not a beetle guy, but those look like the wild ones around my area that leave perfectly round burrows alongside my house..they look very very similar..

We have something similar if not the same here, they burrow by the tree limbs bordering my azalias. Pecan tree across the way dropped a couple long straight limbs so edged in front of them, makes it easier to weed-eat lol. Very cool.

Yeah you've probably seen them, they are somewhat common in the south. Very cool little beetles, and very vicious too!

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Not for me, the name is too depressing

I see what you did there lol! :D

Yes, it's starting to depressus. :p I'm catching some at the next opportunity. "Warrior Beetles"? Vicious ? Sold!

Haha! :D Yeah they are highly predatory, and apparently eat anything that moves. I heard one guy say that he caught one along with some blue death's feigning beetles, and put it in the same collecting container as them. When he checked on them later, the Pasimachus had ripped the legs off the poor BDFBs, it couldn't get through their tough elytra though so they were all still alive... :confused:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I see what you did there lol! :D

Haha! :D Yeah they are highly predatory, and apparently eat anything that moves. I heard one guy say that he caught one along with some blue death's feigning beetles, and put it in the same collecting container as them. When he checked on them later, the Pasimachus had ripped the legs off the poor BDFBs, it couldn't get through their tough elytra though so they were all still alive... :confused:
Yeesh...
Now I must have a few.
and babies. Wait..are they mealworm looking things as babies?

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Yeesh...
Now I must have a few.
and babies. Wait..are they mealworm looking things as babies?

Well good luck getting babies, Carabids are notorious for being extremely difficult to breed in captivity, as they often require seasonal changes and environmental changes to induce oviposition. Pasimachus seem to have a low egg count per season compared to other genera. Additionally, Carabid larva are prone to die off for no reason, and are very weak captives. So basically these are extremely extremely difficult to actually breed in captivity, and no one has ever reared a larva to adulthood before. Only two people I know of have gotten their females to oviposit, and both of them only got a single egg.

Here is a picture of a larva next to a pre-killed cricket. (Not my picture):
post-5154-0-92238200-1380127992.jpg

Latest posts