• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. vittata care

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So i'm doing what I said I wouldn't do and am getting a Pokie. Actually it's a freebie that Tanya from fearnottarantula.com is tossing in for my son's birthday on our current order with her :D

P. vittata sling, about 1" or so is how it's listed on her site. Should be here Wednesday with my PZB and D. pentaloris.

I've read care sheets, which say to give dry substrate, overflow the water dish every 2 weeks or so, depending how long it takes to dry out and mist once a month or so. Said to not be aggressive but will bite if provoked, and they're super fast ;) Also said to be one of the most visible of the Pokies, so hopefully ours will stay true to this.

Anything else i need to know about this one?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As long as you keep an eye on it when doing maintenance and move slowly you shouldn't have a problem. They are a stunning pokie and I'm sure you'll be glad you got one.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is what you have to look forward too in a few years (she's 6.5" dls now)

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Congratulations on the pokie! They are fantastic and really stunning!

When 1'', I keep them as you stated/read on the care sheet. When bigger, I keep all of mine (regalis, subfusca, metallica, formosa, rufilata) on dry substrate with a big waterdish. As Enn said, you only need to be careful when doing maintenance. Neither of mine have shown a threat posture until now, they rather run for shelter in their hide, or just stand still, flat on the cork bark sure their camouflage is a perfect protection.

It's very important to provide them a good and secure hide, then there shouldn't be any problems.

It's very likely you will have more than one, now that you've begun!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Do they web alot? I'm going to be putting it in one of the tall amac box enclosures, similar to Jamies without the big ugly vent in the side -
https://jamiestarantulas.com/arboreal-juvenile-enclosure-kit/

Should i keep it "upside down" as shown in that pic? I've read that enclosure should work fine until they're about 2-3" dls then move them into their adult enclosure. I have an adult enclosure 10x8x13", will that be big enough or should i go taller?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Our vittata has never webbed much except when she's moulting and she always seems to do that on the ground. She was a juvi when we got her so I don't know what she did as a sling, My P. met webs much more. We have the vittata in a 12x12x18" ExoTerra and she does use all of the space so I'd look to something bigger than the one you have,

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Our vittata has never webbed much except when she's moulting and she always seems to do that on the ground. She was a juvi when we got her so I don't know what she did as a sling, My P. met webs much more. We have the vittata in a 12x12x18" ExoTerra and she does use all of the space so I'd look to something bigger than the one you have,
For the adult. This small one for the sling/juvie should work for now? Or should I put it in this one I was going to use for the adult?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
For the adult. This small one for the sling/juvie should work for now? Or should I put it in this one I was going to use for the adult?

The amac box will be fine to begin with and once it reaches 2-3" the T will be big enough to move straight into its adult home.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The amac box will be fine to begin with and once it reaches 2-3" the T will be big enough to move straight into its adult home.
Perfect, and it's smaller than i thought :) maybe 3/4" or so rather than the 1"+ it showed online. He was a really docile and calm T when we moved him into his new home. Hopefully that's a sign of how he'll be lol.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Perfect, and it's smaller than i thought :) maybe 3/4" or so rather than the 1"+ it showed online. He was a really docile and calm T when we moved him into his new home. Hopefully that's a sign of how he'll be lol.

We've never had a problem with ours, We got her at around 2" dls a put her straight into the 12x12x18" ExoTerra but when she reached 5"dls my son decided to give her more space so we transferred her into a larger arboreal vivarium. It wasn't a success though as she sulked, hiding away and not eating so after a couple of months we moved her back to her old ExoTerra and she was happy again proving to me that they don't need too much space. The point I was going to make was that all these moves went without any displays of aggression, just take it slowly and gently.

Last edited:

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Casper's new name is Houdini :D My son called yesterday afternoon all heartbroken it had escaped it's enclosure. He drilled the vent holes to large and it escaped through one. After hours of searching he found it. It was hunkered down in the nook between the wall and the bottle cap water dish.

Except it was in the wrong cage....

It had crawled out of the vent hole in it's cage and into the B. boehmei's cage through a vent hole. He said he had a "fun" time getting her out of Koby's cage. Any time you do anything in his cage he has to come and check out what's going on. My son was afraid Koby would see the little Casper in the corner and kill it.

So last night when i got home we swapped enclosures :) my A. sp Peru Purple is in the same enclosure the vittata was in, but with smaller vent holes (1/16") and there's no way my fat avic Inca could fit in the larger vent holes (3/32").

Lots of fun with this pokie already :D

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Casper's new name is Houdini :D My son called yesterday afternoon all heartbroken it had escaped it's enclosure. He drilled the vent holes to large and it escaped through one. After hours of searching he found it. It was hunkered down in the nook between the wall and the bottle cap water dish.

Except it was in the wrong cage....

It had crawled out of the vent hole in it's cage and into the B. boehmei's cage through a vent hole. He said he had a "fun" time getting her out of Koby's cage. Any time you do anything in his cage he has to come and check out what's going on. My son was afraid Koby would see the little Casper in the corner and kill it.

So last night when i got home we swapped enclosures :) my A. sp Peru Purple is in the same enclosure the vittata was in, but with smaller vent holes (1/16") and there's no way my fat avic Inca could fit in the larger vent holes (3/32").

Lots of fun with this pokie already :D

I'm glad you found Caspar before Koby did and all ended well. It's amazing how small a hole a T can squeeze through but at least that mistake won't be repeated.

Latest posts