• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. Subfusca not eating. I am worried :(

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi, hoping you can all help me. I have an approx 6cm P.Subfusca that was posted and received on 23.12.15. Unfortunately the supplier (I will not name) did not send by correct method and was in the postal system an extra day. A heat mat was included and when it arrived signs were ok as it actually shot straight up my arm and tried to get under my T shirt when transferring to enclosure. However, despite gradual increase in temp before being placed in enclosure, it has yet to take food. I would normally not worry but my A. Purpurea that arrived over a week later is taking anything down often before it hits the web! S
Should I be worried about the P. Subfusca? Seems very lathargic and does not react to being touched. No sign of molting so I don't think it's that. Any suggestions please?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Show any signs at all of trying to make a web anywhere? A Poeci not reacting to touch is indeed worrying. You're positive she's not trying to molt?
Some webbing but not massive amounts. At the very top of the enclosure which is where I would expect it. Only a small example so difficult to tell for certain but not overly massive abdomen or anything like that. Having only just got it I have no molt records either. My concern is that the extra day in packaging even in really mild weat her and with a heat mat has upset things.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pokies aren't really heavy webbers to begin with, not as adults anyway, so that's not really much to be concerned with anyway. As they get larger they spin less silk. Seeing a pokie on the ground isn't something to be concerned with either. The only arboreals that seem to be truly arboreal are Avicularia and Iridopelma. As you probably know, most other arboreals will create a hide on or slightly above ground level, and many of the slings will actually burrow. Sounds like you're doing all you can atm. Good luck.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Show any signs at all of trying to make a web anywhere? A Poeci not reacting to touch is indeed worrying. You're positive she's not trying to molt?
Mystery over.....@MassExodus was right (guess you never can tell....lol) but just checked on the subfusca and there is a brand new molt. Must have already been going into pre-molt when it had its traumatic delivery an extra day with Royal Mail JUST BEFORE Christmas. Hopefully everything will be back on track now but that was a relief. Thanks everyone, especially @Chubbs too for support and comments. Pics below of new molt. Hoping for better pictures soon so can confirm whether lowland or highland variety
20160117_135300.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Everyone seems to like the lowland, I've always been partial to the highland form, though. Glad she was just in premolt Phil.
Me too. Thanks for your support. Would you hazard a guess based on what you can barely see on the abdomen? It was advertised as lowland but I am leaning towards highland. Either way, I think they are both good looking.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Can't see enough to say either way, but out of curiosity what makes you think it might be different then advertised?
Not doubting it is a subfusca, it's just sling/juvenile pics I have seen would indicate the markings on the abdomen are highland rather than lowland. I have dug out the picture that the supplier sent me before purchasing. When I asked them to confirm they were unsure and just said it was bought in as lowland. I am no expert but does this help? Sorry this is the only one I have with markings visible atm.
23748084-975-160x90.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not doubting it is a subfusca, it's just sling/juvenile pics I have seen would indicate the markings on the abdomen are highland rather than lowland. I have dug out the picture that the supplier sent me before purchasing. When I asked them to confirm they were unsure and just said it was bought in as lowland. I am no expert but does this help? Sorry this is the only one I have with markings visible atm.
View attachment 13717
To be honest I'm not even sure if you can tell at that size..I've never raised either as slings. All I really know is that the lowland is dark, with a subdued pattern on the overall dark carapace, while the highland is lighter on the carapace, the pattern is more distinct, the adult highland form have most of their dark color on their legs. Maybe one of the Poeci guys on the forum will chime in, I only have two :) Chubbs, micheldied, I think Rockpython as well are all Poeci enthusiasts..I do plan on getting a rufilata though, it's on my list. And maybe a subfusca..low or high, they're both cool in their own way. I still think regalis have the cleanest, most striking patterns. I wish my girl would stop acting like an irminia -.-

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
To be honest I'm not even sure if you can tell at that size..I've never raised either as slings. All I really know is that the lowland is dark, with a subdued pattern on the overall dark carapace, while the highland is lighter on the carapace, the pattern is more distinct, the adult highland form have most of their dark color on their legs. Maybe one of the Poeci guys on the forum will chime in, I only have two :) Chubbs, micheldied, I think Rockpython as well are all Poeci enthusiasts..I do plan on getting a rufilata though, it's on my list. And maybe a subfusca..low or high, they're both cool in their own way. I still think regalis have the cleanest, most striking patterns. I wish my girl would stop acting like an irminia -.-
Yes hopefully some of the wiser heads than mine will be able to tell. They both look nice so not overly fussed tbh :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What would a Rufilata cost over in the states? There is a 4" legspan for sale about 40 miles from where I live in the UK for £65 ($40 dollars?) So just wondering whether prices in the states are comparable or more expensive than UK end Europe.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I believe rufilata slings go for 30-40 dollars, not sure what a four inch specimen would cost..much more than 40 dollars though. Maybe $100? I like huge spiders so a rufilata is a must have in my collection. It's just too bad the last place I ordered didn't have any, I was looking.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I believe rufilata slings go for 30-40 dollars, not sure what a four inch specimen would cost..much more than 40 dollars though. Maybe $100? I like huge spiders so a rufilata is a must have in my collection. It's just too bad the last place I ordered didn't have any, I was looking.
Shame....good luck with finding one soon. I hope you don't have to wait too long.. My biggest T is my geniculata. Must be at least 7 inches and currently in pre molt too

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
WP_20160113_15_39_55_Pro.jpg
Shame....good luck with finding one soon. I hope you don't have to wait too long.. My biggest T is my geniculata. Must be at least 7 inches and currently in pre molt too
They look stunning right after a molt. What I like about them is that at 1 1/2 inches my little female was an exact copy of my big female..full adult colors after a molt, at that size..and she's holding the color for quite awhile now at 2 inches, looking gorgeous

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
View attachment 13721
They look stunning right after a molt. What I like about them is that at 1 1/2 inches my little female was an exact copy of my big female..full adult colors after a molt, at that size..and she's holding the color for quite awhile now at 2 inches, looking gorgeous
Indeed she does look gorgeous. Yes, they look like mini-me versions very quickly. Saw one for sale in my local reptile shop and my 8 year old has decided she want a "mini Genie" of her own. Long way to get to this big girl tho....lol
20160101_141910.jpg

Latest posts