• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Overfeeding?

Knez Marko

3 Year Member
Guys, can someone tell me if this is overfeeding?
Screenshot_2016-05-30-21-53-05.jpeg

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't doubt that many will say to cut it back a bit at that size. To me you know your T the best as you see it and how it behaves. If it's plump but not so fat as to make it difficult to move or cause a possible fall injury. I say feed it as you and the T wish.
It's still a baby in my book and I feed all my babies as much as they'll eat only cutting back if they get grotesquely obese :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
is that 5/6th of a cm or 5 to 6 cm? Almost the same feeding schedule as i do on my small slings, i like the term "power feeding" rather than overfeeding ;)

Scott Fitzgerald

3 Year Member
So...I accidentally shook 3 crickets into my Mexican Red Rumps enclosure. Before I could take 2 of them out, my T attacked and killed all 3 then proceeded to eat them all one at a time. I don't know what to make of this....Do I keep feeding her as much as she wants? Do I need to be more careful making certain only one cricket is offered? Is she a serial killer?

Rmac88

3 Year Member
So...I accidentally shook 3 crickets into my Mexican Red Rumps enclosure. Before I could take 2 of them out, my T attacked and killed all 3 then proceeded to eat them all one at a time. I don't know what to make of this....Do I keep feeding her as much as she wants? Do I need to be more careful making certain only one cricket is offered? Is she a serial killer?
[emoji38]

The first time I fed my Avic, I did the same thing. And (s)he ate all three....except not one at a time. The fatass stuffed two into her mouth and stood over the third, before finish the two in her mouth as soon as she had room she shuved the third in there...Since then (s)he hasn't had any complications, and seems perfectly happy. My guess is, these critters are just opportunistic eaters and take whatever they can get, because they don't know when the next meal is coming.

Of course...I secretly think the serial killer scenario is more plausible [emoji15]

Sent from my SM-J320P using Tapatalk

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
[emoji38]

Of course...I secretly think the serial killer scenario is more plausible [emoji15]

Rolling here! Mine get fed till they are full, crickets aren't all that large. I'd feed it as long as it wasn't so fat it's dragging it's abdomen.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
my A. genic and A. chalcodes will both take 2 roaches at once, one on each fang ;) it's fun to watch so i tend now to feed them 2 roaches a bit smaller than usual, so they get like 1.5x the single roach meal i was feeding them.

BKBUGZ

3 Year Member
[emoji38]

The first time I fed my Avic, I did the same thing. And (s)he ate all three....except not one at a time. The fatass stuffed two into her mouth and stood over the third, before finish the two in her mouth as soon as she had room she shuved the third in there...Since then (s)he hasn't had any complications, and seems perfectly happy. My guess is, these critters are just opportunistic eaters and take whatever they can get, because they don't know when the next meal is coming.

The other day my juvie P. cambridgei was amazingly gluttonous; i dropped 4 crickets in and she went around the whole tank at full charge and collected very one onlt pin the all together with her fanges then over the course of around 10min she mashed them up into a moist ball of insides. quite interesting. she'd done this once before but with only 3 crickets...i love there creature, and i love learning about their personalities and survivor skills.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The other day my juvie P. cambridgei was amazingly gluttonous; i dropped 4 crickets in and she went around the whole tank at full charge and collected very one onlt pin the all together with her fanges then over the course of around 10min she mashed them up into a moist ball of insides. quite interesting. she'd done this once before but with only 3 crickets...i love there creature, and i love learning about their personalities and survivor skills.

A cricket burrito! :) I love watching their reactions when you drop in multiple prey items. You can almost perceive it as elation as they scramble to catch each one. :)

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I just love when they grab one, then you continue to drop them in. You can almost hear them saying, "wait...there's another one over here! And...over here! YES! Here's another!" They just get so darned excited. hahaha

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just love when they grab one, then you continue to drop them in. You can almost hear them saying, "wait...there's another one over here! And...over here! YES! Here's another!" They just get so darned excited. hahaha
my son's genic scared the piss out of my son and I doing this. Last time we fed them crickets he dropped in 2 large ones, the genic caught them both, then a 3rd cricket decided it was time to commit suicide and jumped from the container to the top edge of the genic's enclosure. Savage was up the wall and on that cricket in half a second. The part that scared my son and made me jump is the enclosure was on my son's lap, and i was leaning over it to nudge the cricket down with a brush.

My son loves to feed him and his GBB juvie 3 or 4 roaches at once. I had to put a stop to that, he was thinning out all the breeding roaches lol my colony almost vanished ;)

Redacted

3 Year Member
my son's genic scared the piss out of my son and I doing this. Last time we fed them crickets he dropped in 2 large ones, the genic caught them both, then a 3rd cricket decided it was time to commit suicide and jumped from the container to the top edge of the genic's enclosure. Savage was up the wall and on that cricket in half a second. The part that scared my son and made me jump is the enclosure was on my son's lap, and i was leaning over it to nudge the cricket down with a brush.

My son loves to feed him and his GBB juvie 3 or 4 roaches at once. I had to put a stop to that, he was thinning out all the breeding roaches lol my colony almost vanished ;)
Roaches are a great food source for Ts.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i feed all of mine except the juvies, 2.5" and larger, twice a week, Wednesday and Sunday (or Tuesday and Saturday depending on my schedule). The larger juvies/sub adults i feed every saturday or sunday.

user 666

3 Year Member
I personally will feed my slings whenever they will eat. Sometimes it's many times a week. I assume u meant 5 to 6 cm, instead of 5/6 of a cm. A 6 cm T is about 2-1/4", so in that case, I'd feed it twice a week tops

Ditto.and then, on the other end of the spectrum, sometimes they don't want to eat.

I usually wait several hours and then take the crickets out.

Latest posts