• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Our new A. versicolor sling

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well, it's not really new to us, but I hadn't officially posted about it here, so it's a new announcement!

We got an Avic sling from Paul at Pet Center USA back on July 17th (great experience and an awesome guy) and have been playing it pretty conservatively since we are new T keepers overall. The T had just moulted the day we bought it 2 months ago.

We put it in a 24oz K cup (perforated all around) with 1" of cocoa fiber substrate, a cork-bark chunk with silk leaves and a water dish/jar. This enclosure has been working fine for us.

We've been feeding it 2x per week until we noticed it had holed itself up in a web-cocoon about 2 weeks ago - we usually see it out of it's webbing. After the first time it skipped a meal we figured it was in pre-moult so we stopped feeding and waited... it moulted this past Friday. Not sure which instar this is, but it's about 1.25-1.5" leg to leg.

Sunday afternoon I offered it a white, freshly-shed rusty red juvie, about 5/16", which disappeared from the drop spot in about an hour while we were out - so I'm assuming it's eating again.

I will post some pics later but I'm thinking our first foray into Avic keeping has been successful, so far.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Not the best pic, but this is what I have at the moment, post molt
4P-n1ezxsvJrmsFYDitrq8bu8sE4DUYgaTr0K0wAges47k2y7md64aylqqbLHO2PojPavjqO-z9caY7rTEvbnVWHm-yaXV1Tw280g-OnilAKbejfcwzhOgf8_Wf6KMmQUsa3gXUeXIkIkcs084P8Pme9-bpYv3IEKl6S-J-f5toPN0U3Ir90Xqiwo6SrVnK7io6dLOrxUog1LuTyQz7m51jkdBYQWsAHH_Y7lc8MjfJnseydkIHwqWV-QOsBkTMhlv6Rm2LAdToH5aD2JxDNVpAQuaEmYhH5XeEkjDxaILx7NKbvktrdwlOYqsEUDHTlYsTHtUybYtudb_PUD_foVphgQcHQ-hF23CiQf5QdHJvhfmwEKlsRmJZwarGN0knPEC3kyLkkn3HH-lsc6P4oIgLiJNpi4sqeORUR66x3U5JL26jQJw4PZwgSoD-qLpitCcr9mmb9YwYHdhf7z0OC7Jxr5dmmUqcStm_a5XpEQ_EGBSqMxnsV0eRJRBf0c0lDtr3NO9vqRK1iNMApOcer_1eqvUeh7wAYG9ZjhxjqbZRk=w340-h603-no

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Strange all I'm getting is a grey "no entry" sign. Maybe my PC is blocking it for some reason.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Our avic ate this past Thursday for the first time since molting the Friday before. Otherwise its been hanging out just inside the rim of its water dish pretty much all the time.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Housing and sling after latest molt
20150921_195809.jpg

20150921_204550.jpg

Broadside
20150921_195907.jpg

Tummy time close up
20150921_204502.jpg

If you can't see those, I' don't know what to do...

Therasoid

3 Year Member
All the photos loaded for me. Very good looking sling. Congrats on the successful molt. Keep up the good work, you're doing well.
Where they bred by Paul? If so, give him a call and he should be able to give its age. Just my guess its 3i now.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
To the best of my knowledge, no he did not breed this batch. He works with a breeder and brings them in. He has full import docs and offered to let me look but it honestly wasn't important to me at the time.

The sling I chose had just molted a day or two before I picked it up, the molt was in the webbing. I waited a few days to feed on Paul's recommendation and rehomed it about a week after that. It's been in the kcup pictured ever since and molted exactly 2 weeks ago as of the writing of this message.

Sadly, it's moving away from the bright blue it was when I got it to a darker blue/black, but that seems common of the species.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
To the best of my knowledge, no he did not breed this batch. He works with a breeder and brings them in. He has full import docs and offered to let me look but it honestly wasn't important to me at the time.

The sling I chose had just molted a day or two before I picked it up, the molt was in the webbing. I waited a few days to feed on Paul's recommendation and rehomed it about a week after that. It's been in the kcup pictured ever since and molted exactly 2 weeks ago as of the writing of this message.

Sadly, it's moving away from the bright blue it was when I got it to a darker blue/black, but that seems common of the species.
Ahh.. that's right, you are within driving distance to Paul's shop. Lucky you! [emoji3]

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Update, two years later

We lost the avic sling after about 3 months, presumably to a failed molt, but I can't be sure.

On the other hand, our B. Albopilosum is thriving and 5 molts later is ready to be rehomed for the 3rd and hopefully final time.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk