• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Other Pets

amho4585

3 Year Member
Other pets I have include: One pitt-lab mix dog named Chino. Three cats. One Russian Blue named CoCo. One tiger striped cat named Lucy. A calico-tabby cat named Alice. One outside cat that is also a Russian Blue named Hurley. One Cinnamon Hedgehog named Sadie. Three ferrets. One Panda ferret named KeKe. One Albino ferret named Richard. Another Albino ferret named Jewels. One Red Tail Boa named Penelope. A Carpet Python named Cato. Lastly, one Irian Jaya - Jungle Python named Calliope. We love our animals! : )

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Sounds like an awesome animal collection! I'd love a snake but I just couldn't do that to my dad. ;) Besides my two Ts, my family also has two cats (Shelby & Sir Walter Lockesley - Lockesley for short), a German Shepherd pup (Harley, 9 weeks old), about 25 laying hens (Rhode Island Reds), and 30 Cornish chicks that will eventually become dinner. :) My brother also has two female mice, Athena and Cleopatra.

amho4585

3 Year Member
Yours sound like quite a brood as well! : ) My husband had to do much convincing for the snakes. Haha. But, as it turns out, they are quite fun to watch!

TheGreatWhiteKoos

3 Year Member
I'm so not a cat person...nothing wrong with them they are lovely animals but they wreak havoc with my sinuses so I keep my distance...thank goodness I don't have the same reaction to my T's

amho4585

3 Year Member
No doubt! But yea... I'd stay away from cats if I were allergic to them too. Luckily I am not. I love my kitties. : )

amadolabonte

Hello everyone! I’m glad to become part of your community! I’ll give you a little back story. I was at work 3 days ago and came across a post on Facebook about two ferrets being given away. They were living In a small dog pet carrier. They as in a brother and a sister. I ended up leaving work to go pick them up. I’ve debated the fact of ownership for a long time and I figured I’m not going to learn if I don’t get them!

As of today, 3 days later. Garm and Kerri are settling in great! After work, they are allowed free range of my room. I’ve proofed everything and I am comfortable with my knowledge about care. But any suggestions would be great! However, I have thought of a lot of questions regarding how they are, how they act, and other things. I thought I might as well ask because others may have similar questions. Questions are listed below, thanks!

What’s the best way to go about bonding with a ferret?

What’s the best way to train a ferret

Is it a good time to begin training?

What’s the most skillful thing you’ve seen from a cat snake?

Can you get a ferret excited? How?

How do you play with a so-called, ferret?

Is there a certain sweet spot for scratches

How long can ferrets go separated?

Is it a good idea to take them on walks?

What’s the best way to exercise them?

Do you use potty pads or litter? Pros and cons?

What are some known favorite toys? Where can I buy them online?

Easy way to trim their claws?

Will they come up to me for cuddles?

—-I’m sure I’ll have a lot more questions as time passes I’ll be sure to add them! Thank you, everyone! Cheers!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Being brought up in a farming area, ferrets were common possessions. These were not pets, but working animals.

A friend, whose father owned a farm, had ferrets whose father had brought them to work. But whose wife. My friends mother. Had fed titbits too & in the words of my mates father ruined.

We used to get them out & play with them. It was at a period when parkers were fashionable & these ferrets would climb into pockets & hoods. Go up one sleeve & down another. They were useless for hunting with.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have two dogs. A wirehaired dachshund & a Basset hound.

1.jpg
0b.jpg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hello everyone! I’m glad to become part of your community! I’ll give you a little back story. I was at work 3 days ago and came across a post on Facebook about two ferrets being given away. They were living In a small dog pet carrier. They as in a brother and a sister. I ended up leaving work to go pick them up. I’ve debated the fact of ownership for a long time and I figured I’m not going to learn if I don’t get them!
Welcome, if you haven't already, please post an into in the Introductions forum

Congrats on your new furry friends!

Google is a good resource, I found this site with lots of articles, and a gift shop
(I am not associated with them at all)

Ferrets are very playful and trainable. Do you know how old they are?

Also, biting is a natural reaction for them when playing or excited, like some dogs. You may want to train your ferrets not to bite if someone hasn't already...

prince charmless

Besides 26 various inverts, I have a 1/2 red heeler, 1/2 jack russell who loves people and hates cats. He's not very fond of squirrels or rabbits, either. Escape artist. I spent about $500 for mods to my fence to keep him in the yard

Attachments

• dex.jpg
    dex.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 3

x_raphael_xx

My non Tarantula pets are:
A Manchester Terrier - Duncan
A Hermanns Tortoise - Donatello
4 Hissing roaches - D'Artagnan and his girls Porthos, Athos & Aramis
A Pacman frog - Cricket (as that was what I actually went into the petshop for!)
5 firebelly toads - Napoleon Bonafrog, Genghis Frog, Attila the Frog, Frog the Ripper & Count Frogula
I also have 4 Blue death feigning beetles on their way, they have been named by my music tutor - John, Paul, Ringo & George.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Is the 29 optional to keep, like on a lend/lease, or are you locked in?

Asking for a friend

Spotted Bull

Currently we have a deaf rescue dog mutt,
2 rescue cats, 1 Brazilian short-tailed possum, 2 dwarf rabbits, 14 hedgehogs, 6 snakes, 7 lizards, 1 Pandinus imperator, 1 Aphonopelma chalcodes, and 1 Tliltocati albopinosus.

I think that all...

Latest posts