• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Orb Weaver Spiders needed

SarahFox

3 Year Member
Hello,
I've been scouring the internet trying to find a place to buy some Orb Weaver Spiders. I have a yellow and black one I have been taking care of and would like to expand my collection.
If anyone could direct me to a good place to purchase a few, or if you have some please let me know.
Especially interested in the Golden Orb Weaver, Orchid Spider (or Metallic Orb Weaver).

Any help or suggestions is appreciated!
Thank you!

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They generally are not available until Spring/ealry Summer so you are almost there!

VanessaS

3 Year Member
We have these all over the place in Southern Ontario...

http://shop.bugsincyberspace.com/Cross-Orbweaver-Spider-Araneus-diadematus-bic817.htm

DSC00889-2.jpg

Last edited:

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Gorgeous picture. The webs of the orb weaver are always spectacular.
I usually go out hunting for them, for photos, at dusk. That is when they will normally break down their webs and build new ones. I love watching them do that because that is really the only time they are active. They are very easy to photograph - they just chill in their webs, or get on with doing their spidey stuff, and don't pay much attention to me.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I am really fond of the Bridge Orbweavers - Larinioides sclopetarius. They are also called the Grey Cross Orbweaver. Not as colourful as some of the others, but they are very darling.
Here is a little girl I caught last fall doing shadow puppets.

_DSC6984-2-3.jpg

And another on the same bridge in the process of constructing her web...

_DSC6927-2.jpg

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Nice! Have you ever tried to keep any in captivity?
No, never. They would be far too difficult to keep in an ideal setup. Some people, who own houses, purchase a 'spider frame' to encourage them to come around. I was never successful at doing that. Now that I am back in an apartment, I stick to the non web builders.
They are pretty short lived - like the Salticidae.

Latest posts