• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Options for feeding

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
I can obtain small crickets (but not pinheads), and I want to add variety to the diet but I'm allergic to ****roaches what other small items might I be able to feed my tarantulas?

Currently I vary between mealworms (small) and aforementioned crickets but the mealworms are still kinda big even if labeled small..what might my other options be?

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
u can prekill ur bugs. crush the mealworms head and pull it in half and feed 2 little ones. roaches mealworms superworms and crickets r all i use.

Meludox

3 Year Member
If you order insects online, you can get mealworms (and crickets) of all sizes and most likely a size more suitable. Some people feed waxworms also but they only come in one size.

How large are your T's?

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
If you order insects online, you can get mealworms (and crickets) of all sizes and most likely a size more suitable. Some people feed waxworms also but they only come in one size.

How large are your T's?
They vary, but I was more ask for my fat but still hungry cabocla. Gonna put some pics of him up soon since he was out the other night. The smalles is 1/8" the biggest around 3".

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I read somewhere that someone froze theirs, took out a few and let them thaw a few minutes then fed their tiny slings.
I haven't tried it, so no guarantees!
I use prekilled baby meal worms for my tiny slings, or a cricket drumstick :p

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use cuticle scissors to cut the meal worms, or something similar if they've grown legs and moved from the feeding area ;) the scissors that is.
All of my Ts range from 1/4" to 3"+ and they all eat lateralis roaches.

Are you allergic to all roaches? There's quite a variety of them you can feed to your Ts, check aaronpauling.com, he's got the largest variety I've seen.

Josh's frogs and Fluker Farms has crickets and a good variety of worms also. I'd go with Fluker's if you're ordering crickets online, they have everything from pinheads to adults. Only problem with crickets is they don't live long. I like their food products and water gel for the feeders also. I use their gutload cricket chow and water gel for my roach colony along with veggie scraps once or twice a week.

Flightless fruit flies are a real pain to use. The T's have to get them quick as the flies will always crawl up the wall and hang out on the ceiling. Someone mentioned putting them in the fridge for a few minutes to slow them down but I tried that and it didn't help, or at least not for my lazy T anyway.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Yeah, I've heard with problems of those. I don't know if I am allergic to all. I just know I'm allergic to whatever type of roach they use in the pinprick test. maybe my mom kept the allergy results and I can dig it up and see if it informs me the specific type.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i had that needle test when i was a teen, 200 and some pokes in the back. It sucked. The one i was the most allergic to was tobacco and that one was in that horrible spot between your shoulder blades that you can't reach. Not that i could scratch with 200 or so needles in my back anyway and that made it worse.

Anyway i'd stick with crickets and worms and not bother with the roaches. no sense in chancing it unless you can get someone to verify they have different dander or whatever it is that your allergic to and they won't bother you. All T's like crickets, and most will eat worms from what i've seen with mine.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
I did ask around, I have a few friends that are both biology/scientist people and keep exotic pets.

I'm at the point where I don't want to be dropping money on crickets here (while in expensive, in my town I can only by in 6 and 12 counts and they are taxed), so I want to start my own feeder colony so that I don't need to spend the extra, just on what I supplement with (the bins of mealworms at least last awhile). My crickets tend to eat each other, and for that I didn't want them to be noisy in the house (my moms) so that means no cricket colonies.

Mine seem to have been going on a worm strike as of late, except for my Tapinauchenis sp Colombia, she's back to eating anything.