• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Ok then! Dubia food

Linda Fluekiger

3 Year Member
Hello,
I bough Dubia for food, since I really do not want to deal with crickets. I put one of the little buggers in my Rose Hair's and it went under the sub. WTH! Now what? Will she go find it? Tomorrow, I will stop and get a couple crickets and give her one. I really need to know about the Dubia.

I have added another heater in her home. I tested the heat and it is a tad on the chilly side, 69 at the opposite end of the heat. 88 degrees from the "mini heater" pad that sticks to the outside of her home. I am hoping that she moves a little more. She showed interest in the ****roach, but it had gone under before she found it.

Any and all info would be very much appreciated.
Linda Fluekiger

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
I would take it out. The risk of dubia harming a molting spider is extremely low, much less than crickets but it has happened

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Hello,
I bough Dubia for food, since I really do not want to deal with crickets. I put one of the little buggers in my Rose Hair's and it went under the sub. WTH! Now what? Will she go find it? Tomorrow, I will stop and get a couple crickets and give her one. I really need to know about the Dubia.

I have added another heater in her home. I tested the heat and it is a tad on the chilly side, 69 at the opposite end of the heat. 88 degrees from the "mini heater" pad that sticks to the outside of her home. I am hoping that she moves a little more. She showed interest in the ****roach, but it had gone under before she found it.

Any and all info would be very much appreciated.
Linda Fluekiger
I started a feeder colony of Dubia many years ago, when my collection was smaller, around 20. I had the same problem with Dubia burrowing, more so with the small& medium size, than large. Started crushing the heads and dropping them near the T.
During a discussion with another keeper, he said that B. laterlis were his choice of roaches and explained why. So I sent off for a starter colony, since then I never run out of feeders. Be warned though, if not controlled, they reproduce at an alarming rate. You can always sell off the excess, I have a LPS nearby and trade for crickets on occasion. [emoji1]
I have a B. albopilosum that I've seen dig up a superworm and eat it. She is such the "bulldozer". [emoji4]

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Lat's are definitely my go to feeder for slings and picky eaters but you can beat dubia for fattening up a freshly molted T.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
I get dubia that sometimes like to hide. Burrowing is a bit generous as they aren't great diggers but they do find a tight spot and stay put out of reach sometimes.

Therasoid

3 Year Member
I get dubia that sometimes like to hide. Burrowing is a bit generous as they aren't great diggers but they do find a tight spot and stay put out of reach sometimes.
I agree, but they also freeze ( not moving) making, sometimes, difficult for the T to find it.

Thats one of the reasons I went to B. laterlis, black and red race cars. Lol!