• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Oddities/Rarities

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You said you are't keen on Aphonopelmas - is that because they're basically in your backyard, or they're too common over there?

They just grow too slow for me. And I have some issues with Taxonomy on them. Mostly I don't believe that it's accurate. I know of areas out here where there are up to 4 species inhabiting the same area and they all look very similar. Chalcodes for intance; some call them Tucson blonde/Mexican blonde, some call them Payson Blonde. They're different species. Chalcodes comes form southern Az where as Paysoni come from Payson 200 miles north. But they're commonly sold as the same. I do occasionally collect local species. Breed, and release them. Believe it or not the pet trade definitely effects the wild populations here.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I could believe that. I hope for the day where there are no more WC in the trade (probably wishful thinking on some of the slower growing species), it would be nice to just let them be.

Listershat

3 Year Member
They just grow too slow for me. And I have some issues with Taxonomy on them. Mostly I don't believe that it's accurate. I know of areas out here where there are up to 4 species inhabiting the same area and they all look very similar. Chalcodes for intance; some call them Tucson blonde/Mexican blonde, some call them Payson Blonde. They're different species. Chalcodes comes form southern Az where as Paysoni come from Payson 200 miles north. But they're commonly sold as the same. I do occasionally collect local species. Breed, and release them. Believe it or not the pet trade definitely effects the wild populations here.
Yeah, my New River Rust Rump is a WC, only one I have, (as far as I know) but not good. It's basically a Chalcodes, apparently the adult size is a few cm different, but so can be any other individual spider - no matter the species. I still love my Seemanni's though, common or not they'll always be my favourites. ;)

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah, my New River Rust Rump is a WC, only one I have, (as far as I know) but not good. It's basically a Chalcodes, apparently the adult size is a few cm different, but so can be any other individual spider - no matter the species. I still love my Seemanni's though, common or not they'll always be my favourites. ;)

New Rivers get larger then any Aphno I know of (6"+), so if yours is full grown then you can Id it pretty confidently.

Listershat

3 Year Member
Cheers mate, spider shop's never let me down yet, but it's good to hear it from an impartial source. I want a Chalcodes too anyway, but that's way down my list.

Pawandinverts

3 Year Member
A thread for posting pics of any spiders you have that are fairly uncommon in the hobby or are a bit odd.

Here is a few for starters -

Homoeomma uruguayense
DSCF4441.jpg

Ami yupanquii
100_3836.jpg

Chilobrachys sp. aladdin
DSCF2233.jpg

Orphnaecus sp. Philippines
DSCF0018-6.jpg

Encyocratella olivacea
DSCF1444.jpg

Plesiophrictus sp. India
DSCF0018-17.jpg

Pamphobeteus ultramarinus
DSCF0002-28.jpg
That Pamphobeteus ultramarinus is amazing looking!
All your tarantulas are amazing! :)