• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

obt freebie

kenney

3 Year Member
Im getting a obt from someone who didnt know what they were doing, they have it in a 10 gallon tererstial set up with a inch of coco fiber for a substrate and a cork bark hide.

I know its a t that lives in a hole in a ground, so im thinking thats part of the agression ( the other part is thats its a obt, (my ultra agredsive h livium just hides and dont seem to try to bit, will displylay though))

I guess they been bit 4 times and claim it will chase them (guess it got out once?)

Should i rehouse it into a more suited set up, and whats the best way to catch her, i dont plan on being bit

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Of course. If you have her, give her a suitable set up. How big is she? I'd try cupping with an oversize cup..usually if they threat pose it gives you a second to drop the cup over them. Just don't jump when she slaps and bites at the cup. Stay calm and work the lid under her once the cup is on her, don't worry if you pick up sub. It's not about neat it's about safe for both of you. ^.^ I'm sure others will.chime in with better advice. :p I just tend to be practical, remember to think before you move and be calm and deliberate. Don't slam a cup on her. Good way to injure her.
( I'm incredibly jealous by the way! Beautiful tarantulas)

Last edited:

kenney

3 Year Member
Ive had a few old worlds give me the run around in the bath tub, and one (only one trantula, tai tiger (some sort of haplophelma, dont think it was the right lable) who was activly aggresive)
AparentlY she (or he ) is 4 to 5 inches

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ive had a few old worlds give me the run around in the bath tub, and one (only one trantula, tai tiger (some sort of haplophelma, dont think it was the right lable) who was activly aggresive)
AparentlY she (or he ) is 4 to 5 inches
Try a bowl if you need to, so it's large enough to get over her easily. I generally use the 32oz deli cups for my bigger T's. From the sound if it, your used to the OW T's it should be more of the same. Post pictures if your able?
(Sorry for saying her/she I always say she till I know for sure lol)

kenney

3 Year Member
Ya have had a little experince, always had gotten them in cups already though, i think i have 7 old worlds as of now , only 2 have put their speed to use when housing them, and 2 cases of the attitude (the tai tiger was agression as far as im concerned, the h livium was just extra defensive)

How deep would you recomend for the obt? I got the livum in a tall container with about 8 inches of substrete

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I got my girl at 3" and put her straight into a 12"x12"x18" ExoTerra that will be her forever home. I'd read that OBTs are semi-arboreal so that was how I housed her and because the substrate isn't too deep she has never burrowed but built herself a cave of web and substrate with a web tube up the back corner. She uses the full height of the terrarium when she is out and about.

Her home

This is a side view showing her web tunnel. Her cave goes right round the base of the wood.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What are you housing her into?
@Enn49 has a gorgeous OBT.
She can probably give you the best advice for what's needed for her. I know they Web if they don't have the sub they need.
I don't have one (yet) as I want a juvenile and they haven't been plentiful when I'm able to buy. Soon though.
I'd fill the tank half way at least leaving a small opening for her, angle it a littl, you can bury her hide on the higher end. . Make sure she has a good size water dish. Then just let her acclimate.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I got my girl at 3" and put her straight into a 12"x12"x18" ExoTerra that will be her forever home. I'd read that OBTs are semi-arboreal so that was how I housed her and because the substrate isn't too deep she has never burrowed but built herself a cave of web and substrate with a web tube up the back corner. She uses the full height of the terrarium when she is out and about.

Her home

This is a side view showing her web tunnel. Her cave goes right round the base of the wood.
Lol.i tagged you and you were already posting lol!

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
OBT are very opportunistic. If you give enough substrate and premade burrow, it will dig; if you give only cork barks with little substrate, it'll web heavily a home with the decoration. Main point is: give it either substrate or several pieces of cork bark so that it can settle down and feel secure. It will reduce its defensive attitudes. But nevertheless be always very prudent: sometimes, mine bolt out of her hide only because she feels the lid opening, even when she has a secured hide. OBT web a lot, which is very fine looking!, if you don't give too much substrate.

You asked how deep? They don't need as deep as burrowing spp. like Haplopelma. 4 inches is more than enough in my opinion.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
as far as containment for rehousing you can see if it will chase you then cup it like @Kymura said, or use the bottle method. Cut a 2 liter bottle in half half way down or so. then see if you can get the T into the top half of the bottle with the lid, and put a cardboard or something over the open end to keep it inside. Then in the new enclosure you can take the cap off the bottle and use a brush or something to nudge the T out into the new home.

Then see if it chases you ;)

I've heard of a bag method here also, but can't find which thread that was in.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I made a tube from a cut and sliced water bottle, tapered from wide to skinny, about 3" long. It's a starter hide for mine. She took right to it too, webbing inside it, and creating web tunnels from its opening in all directions. The entire enclosure is webbed, but she is always out, laying on her webs. She seems to love it.
Rehousing advice....however you decide to do it, be deliberate and as calm as you can. That'll be ur best bet to not harm the T and not get bit. Great T!!!! I love mine

kenney

3 Year Member
I dont want to hurt her, i know its age is about 2 years old and that shes called sheilob (lord of the rings). Will have to take a look at the cage when i get it but last time i seen it (getting her from someone i know who is in over their head) it was the wrong type of set up, so i imagine its not changed any.

Never seen a t my self that will chase people, i think that behavior is corectly called arcnophobia?? (And i have alot of ts, its kinda a obsesion) (also have 3 things that are a hot (arabian fat tail scorp, Arizona bark scorp, brown widow)

None the less not knowing the trantulas personality, i like to treat them as something that can kill you if you make a mistake, not to fear it, but to respect it

Chris LXXIX

3 Year Member
They are by far IMO the most adaptable (and quite hardy) Theraphosidae ever. I housed mine with a good 6 inches of substrate, and she burrowed under the cork bark.

P.murinus
, if given the chance, loves to burrow. If not, he/she will create his/her own "web" safe haven. A thing that, aside for the aestethic impact, very cool to see, isn't the best when it comes to maintenance and clean/refill the water dish.

timc

3 Year Member
@Chris LXXIX i gotta give you props for persistence on the water bowl for your OBT. I gave that up a long while ago, after everything I've ever used has ended up buried or as web decorations. Now i just drip some water on the web and if she drinks she's thirsty and if not she isn't. Bolus retrieval is always tons of fun though;)

kenney

3 Year Member
I got the tank, and she webbed up the half log she was in, that is way to big, shes maybe 3 inches in a 10 gallon tank, not the best care but ahe seems healthy, and not quite the fierce spider of doom that i was told she was lol

Telson

3 Year Member
They said they got bitten four times?!? By an obt? That's quite a story your friend is spinning:)

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
I just recently picked up my OBT sling. She molted once about a week ago and is showing her colors. Rehousing her too an hour and a half. But just like everyone is saying I managed it by staying calm. Eventually I got her where she needed to be and finished up. She was extremely fast and did threat pose a couple of times and asking for advice from none other than Enn here, one thing that could have helped me was during if I had been able to just keep her from escaping the tub I was using as the anti escape Penn and let her calm down I probably would have had an easier time. But in all that fun not once did she try to chase anything. She was either strolling around exploring or bolting away from me in an orange blur of legs and fury lol. As enn said previously, I had heard about the semi arboreal thing so I gave her both. A nice bit of fake greenery to chill in or a pre started burrow with deep substrate. Vicious (that is her name) took the high road and thinks she is a tree spider as you can see in the included pictures.

Camera HDR Studio - 1466850035037.jpg
20160628_164302.jpg
Camera HDR Studio - 1466850065900.jpg
20160628_164316.jpg
20160628_164327.jpg

P.s. she's curled up at the top there cause she did not appreciate me turning her enclosure around for the pictures even though I did it very gently haha. What a little diva! Also ignore the un-eaten Dubias. My little boy wanted to help feed so he squished them in his hand and tossed them in while I was putting one that actually did get eaten in. X.x why do they want to be cute and helpful when I'm messing with My one T out of my 5 that the bite would knock you on your rear? Seriously child!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Zaiaku Glad all went well eventually. It's obviously settling well judging by the webbing. Just remember when it outgrows that container, move it to something larger than what you'd put any other sling into so you don't have to rehouse so often. Another thing is, don't be surprised if you only get bits of moult each time, mine decorates her cave with bits and only throws out what is left, often a month or 2 after the moult.

Zaiaku

3 Year Member
The last molt I actually managed to get in tact except the abdomen lol. So I couldn't sex her plus I think she's too small anyway. But yeah I've got a good 2 or three molts to go before she outgrows the cup I think XD. Thanks again for the advice seems it was good enough to even share here for someone else looking to help ease the hassle of chasing an OBT around trying to get them settled. haha

Latest posts