• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Not eating, but not a moult. (Worried Owner)

NatashaG

3 Year Member
Hi there,
Recently Zoltan (my Bsmithi/Hamorii) moutled, which was 2 months ago now! He has eaten well after it for a while (one cricket every week), but now he is refusing food. He hasn't eaten in about three weeks all in all, and I must admit that I am rather worried. His butt is still a very good size, and he gets fresh water daily, but I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and if it is a problem at all! I try to feed him again every 4-5 days with no luck.
Is it possible he would be moulting again so quickly??
IMG_0628.JPG

Many thanks in advance for any advice!

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
How big is he and is it a confirmed male? I've had Ts that won't eat for months, usually in pre molt, and smaller juvenile Ts do molt every couple months. Males will stop eating and will be in search of a female as they mature. That's why I ask how big and if its truly a male. If its a juvenile then its normal but unfortunately if its a adult male he could be maturing out. No matter what still a beautiful smithi you got there.

NatashaG

3 Year Member
He is definitely a confirmed male, but he has not reached maturity. He is still a juvenile, but I'm unsure at what size they are considered sub-adult. He is roughly 4 inches, has a healthy looking butt and seems as active as he ever has been.
Could it be due to a drop in the weather? It's been a little colder here recently, but I'm unsure if that would make a difference. I do use a heat pad, but only ever on the side of his tank and only ever for an hour if I think it is too cold for myself. I do this as I have no central heating in my home.
I know that they moult less as they get older, and he has moulted 3 times with me in the year and half I've had him. That's why I am pretty certain he isn't in pre-moult, as his usual pattern of this has been around every 6 months, perhaps a few weeks longer every time.
Thank you :) and thanks for the reply!
How big is he and is it a confirmed male? I've had Ts that won't eat for months, usually in pre molt, and smaller juvenile Ts do molt every couple months. Males will stop eating and will be in search of a female as they mature. That's why I ask how big and if its truly a male. If its a juvenile then its normal but unfortunately if its a adult male he could be maturing out. No matter what still a beautiful smithi you got there.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
He is definitely a confirmed male, but he has not reached maturity. He is still a juvenile, but I'm unsure at what size they are considered sub-adult. He is roughly 4 inches, has a healthy looking butt and seems as active as he ever has been.
Could it be due to a drop in the weather? It's been a little colder here recently, but I'm unsure if that would make a difference. I do use a heat pad, but only ever on the side of his tank and only ever for an hour if I think it is too cold for myself. I do this as I have no central heating in my home.
I know that they moult less as they get older, and he has moulted 3 times with me in the year and half I've had him. That's why I am pretty certain he isn't in pre-moult, as his usual pattern of this has been around every 6 months, perhaps a few weeks longer every time.
Thank you :) and thanks for the reply!
Could be anything. Weather, not hungry, bored with the food, who knows. As long as his abdomen is plump and he's got fresh water he should be fine.

NatashaG

3 Year Member
Could be anything. Weather, not hungry, bored with the food, who knows. As long as his abdomen is plump and he's got fresh water he should be fine.
He hasn't ever really been too fussy with food, usually will take crickets or maybe a worm, would that be a problem? His butt is always nice and plump and his water dish is filled daily, just worried about the little fella.

NatashaG

3 Year Member
Little update: Zoltan has eaten! I took on the advice of a change in food and he has wolfed a cricket down this after noon! I am beyond relieved :cool::p

Latest posts