• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nicolas' gang of fools...

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Ok guys and gals, here's my picture thread...

Ephebopus cyanognathus (sorry for the bad pic, not easy to catch this girl...):

IMG_0735.JPG

Nhandu tripepii female:

IMG_0730.JPG

IMG_0692.JPG

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm confused now I thought Cyclosternum fasciatum was now Davus fasciatus.

You've got a lovely collection. I really must get an E. murinus, they're stunning.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
I'm confused now I thought Cyclosternum fasciatum was now Davus fasciatus.

You've got a lovely collection. I really must get an E. murinus, they're stunning.

It's still not clear to me. Friends of mine have said that in the hobby, you only find pentaloris and not fasciatus. But I'm really not sure, you could be right...

Here's another E murinus shot, just for you!

EmurinusNC.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's still not clear to me. Friends of mine have said that in the hobby, you only find pentaloris and not fasciatus. But I'm really not sure, you could be right...

Here's another E murinus shot, just for you!

View attachment 12378

Totally confusing, how are we supposed to give them their correct names if they can't decide - a case for using the common name!!!!

I'm definitely going to have to get one, yours has got me drooling :p

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Stunning collection!
I especially love your Nhandhu Tripepii (how fuzzy!!!) and your L. Violaceopes (spelling?) (those colours are just unreal!).
I had been tempted to get one of the latter myself, but there's quite a few descriptions of them that make me unsure about my "readiness" for this species. How are you finding yours (behaviour wise)?

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Gorgeous Blue-Fang. I hear ya they're so difficult to get photos of due to their secretive and skittish nature.

You are absolutely right: this blue-fang is probably the most secretive tarantula I have. I almost never see her, and as she's not exactly the best eater, she can stay hidden in her burrow for weeks. But every time this madame agrees to give me one look at her, I have to confess I'm in love!

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
Stunning collection!
I especially love your Nhandhu Tripepii (how fuzzy!!!) and your L. Violaceopes (spelling?) (those colours are just unreal!).
I had been tempted to get one of the latter myself, but there's quite a few descriptions of them that make me unsure about my "readiness" for this species. How are you finding yours (behaviour wise)?

The Nhandu tripepii is unfortunately underrated. I don't know why, because she is huge (bigger than Brachys), very fuzzy, great colors and a rather placid behavior (at least mine) which gives her a kind of gentle giant's look. And I guess they are not too expensive (in Europa you can easily find one adult female for 40 euros). Always visible, I really like her.

Lampropelma violaceopes is really stunning and blue as she matures (when younger, she looks like the first photo). Beware, because the male isn't blue at all, rather a kind of greenish-brown very leggy look. They are fast, have potent venom, but mine isn't overly agressive: she stays in her burrow (dug at the bottom of a vertical and cylindrical cork bark) when I do maintenance. I had to push her once or twice with a straw, but she never threatened me: rather flee than fight maybe. But when she begins running, she's extremely fast. I almost never see her, only sometimes at night or very early in the morning when lights are still low. It makes this sp. a rather frustrating one...

Some keepers have had troubles raising this sp, because it's kind of fragile. It needs high humidity (but not in her burrow it seems), good ventilation, and a big enclosure. I haven't lost any of the two I've raised from tiny slings (one was a male, the other a female), but I haven't been specially more careful with these ones than with my pokies for instance. They mature quite fast (my male was mature in 20 months). If they have a secure burrow where to retreat, if you "warn" them before opening the enclosure, and if you always are on your guards, there shouldn't be any problems. Don't forget they always need water, and once a week (when I change the water dish) I pour some water in one place of the enclosure (once again: not in the burrow). For me it has worked.