• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newcomer In Your Midst

Calymene

3 Year Member
Hello! I've just acquired my very first tarantula last night: a pink-toe! He's not alone in this little family, for I also have three hissing roaches: two females (named Cookies and Cream) and a male (El Toro). On a bigger scale is my old lady rat named Waffles (a former feeder that I raised practically from birth), and on an even bigger scale than that is my floofy ragdoll cat, Mochi.

But I know ya'll are here for my eight-legged friend. He's settling in real nice (he seems so happy being able to stretch his legs for once!), and was no trouble at all transferring him from his old home (a small, flat cup :( ) into his new home: he walked right into my hand without any hassle. I've left him in a dark, quiet room so he can explore his temporary terrarium in peace (I plan to by a proper arboreal terrarium when I get off work today; should I transfer him immediately after it's ready or should I leave him for a couple more days to recover from the stress of the move?). According to the shop owners, he's a very docile and mellow spider. I suspect he'll be a lot more active now that he's got room to scurry about.

He's smaller than I expected though, so he's likely still young and growing.

I have some amount of spider knowledge (a guilty pleasure of mine is reading care books/sites of animals I don't own), but it's something I feel definitely should be expanded upon! I'm sure this forum will teach me tons!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, welcome to the hobby.

Firstly, you will learns loads on here but you will also be tempted to buy more Ts. Ohh, on that note we do like photos on here :)

Secondly, I think if it was me I'd move him into his new arboreal container straight away then he can begin to make it his home. There's no point in letting him settle in then moving him again.

Redacted

3 Year Member
Hi, welcome to the hobby.

Firstly, you will learns loads on here but you will also be tempted to buy more Ts. Ohh, on that note we do like photos on here :)

Secondly, I think if it was me I'd move him into his new arboreal container straight away then he can begin to make it his home. There's no point in letting him settle in then moving him again.
Welcome, big fun this hobby and a nice forum. Also, take Enn49's advice.

Redacted

3 Year Member
Hello there, great folks on here! :)
FXJvdIM.gif
Little buddy!!!

Calymene

3 Year Member
Thanks, guys! I followed the advice and transferred my little Aragog (the name I decided to give him; cliche, I know! XD ) into his new home. He seems to be exploring, for he's in a different spot on the walls whenever I check on him. But I do worry, 'cause ever since I got him, I haven't once seen him go down to the ground where his water is; I don't think he drank anything since he got here and he might not know that there's water. I'm reassuring myself that he can smell water or something and will go down to drink when he's thirsty.

Tomorrow will be feeding time as well, as he ate last Monday according to the shop owners. I'll try giving him a cricket so he can have the option, but I'm not expecting him to take it since he's still adjusting. Just in case, will the cricket be fine living with my pet hissers until the next feeding? I don't want my lil roachies getting hurt.

Anywho, I'll try posting pictures of him in the proper gallery section! :3