• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lee72

3 Year Member
Hello everyone I'm from Essex in England I bought my son a red rump a few weeks ago, loved watching it move feed etc his really excited about owning/looking after one. I then went out and bought an Indian ornamental for my self.

Sorry new too this so not quite got the scientific names down yet , not too sure if I've done the right thing probably got a steep learning curve ahead of me but I feel if u respect them take sensible precautions we should both be ok

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Lee, welcome aboard. :)

You will certainly notice a difference between the 2 Ts in behaviour, your ornamental will be much faster than your son's red rump. Both are beautiful Ts and as long as you are aware of their individual characters, you'll be fine. Any questions just ask and there's usually someone around to help.

Lee72

3 Year Member
I have been doing considerable research on the subject. Generally seems to be follow the mainstream advise on your particular species, but be aware that they are very much individual creatures with individual personalities, which is not what I was expecting but brings a new element to caring for them.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, even Ts of the same species can behave differently just like us humans. You will soon learn your T's habits and then caring for them becomes easier but they can still surprise you so don't let them lull you into a false sense of security :)

Lee72

3 Year Member
Thanks for the advise, I watched the Indian take her first prey bit of an eye opener I can tell you , very fast , very accurate , think that ones going to demand a high level of respect and planning for any activity .

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You don't say how big it is but I'd recommend some long tongs before it gets to adulthood, they make maintenance much easier and safer.

Lee72

3 Year Member
Thanks people the Indian is roughly 4ins , and just got home with another addition Chaco golden knee female about 5 ins , very calm in her new home no hair kicking at all just calmly walked in and started exploring .

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks people the Indian is roughly 4ins , and just got home with another addition Chaco golden knee female about 5 ins , very calm in her new home no hair kicking at all just calmly walked in and started exploring .

The addiction has got you early, no hope now :T:

Lee72

3 Year Member
IMG_2642.JPG

Redacted

3 Year Member
Very beautiful. Chacos are wonderful to me because they're big, strikingly-patterned, and not at all shy.

Nate"flash"Calli

3 Year Member
hey im new to the T hobby and i am getting ready to order my first. i am ordering a Greenbottle blue sling and was wondering if anyone had a preference on what type of substrate i should use.

Latest posts