• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie Question

Kat Maehl

3 Year Member
so since I'm still so new, I feel it's safe to test the waters.

Does anyone ever give away slings? Like, let's say you just got a sac of 400 L.Ps. You don't wanna go through selling them, or you see a poor newbie who doesn't usually have the funds to buy slings/subadults.

Not including shipping.

Is that a thing?

Kat Maehl

3 Year Member
Hmm, I see.
I came from the mushroom hobby (edibles not magic) and people were throwing stuff at me and I threw stuff at them, so I'm just trying to understand the norm here.

I can however say, I would repay any acts of kindness.

I do plan to breed some of my Costa Rican species. And as I hear they're not common in the hobby so at least I'm coming from a place of interest for people :) and I will be breeding in the us eventually. :)

Attachments

• IMG_1012.JPG
    IMG_1012.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0269.JPG
    IMG_0269.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 9

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
I heard the magic kind are way more fun ;) I've actually thought about trying to grow some ****aakes. A lot of recipes I have use them and I always have to sub in a different mushroom because there are no fresh ones around here and the ones I do find are expensive.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
so since I'm still so new, I feel it's safe to test the waters.

Does anyone ever give away slings? Like, let's say you just got a sac of 400 L.Ps. You don't wanna go through selling them, or you see a poor newbie who doesn't usually have the funds to buy slings/subadults.

Not including shipping.

Is that a thing?
Yes, it happens frequently if you know enough people in the hobby, most especially breeders, either casual or not. I was planning on giving away as many Lp slings as possible, but I don't think my girl got pregnant. I could be wrong, she may surprise me. I recently gave a freebie Lp sling to a girl from work, for her son. It's just a matter of getting involved in the hobby I guess, making contacts. Good luck with the breeding, those are both fantastic spp.

Last edited:

Kat Maehl

3 Year Member
Yes, it happens frequently if you know enough people in the hobby, most especially breeders, either casual or not. I was planning on giving away as many Lp slings as possible, but I don't think my girl got pregnant. I could be wrong, she may surprise me. I recently gave a freebie Lp sling to a girl from work, for her son. It's just a matter of getting involved in the hobby I guess, making contacts. Good luck with the breeding, those are both fantastic spp.

Aw man, had I known I'd not have gotten an LP ! I bought one from Jamie as my first US tarantula.

I mean, I'm happy I have it/her. Because my friend is raising her until I get to the states.

Personally, since I want to get into breeding and selling, my way of doing that would be to give people slings, like LPs or seemannis. You know, fairly common ones until I got a good rep for quality animals and reliable shipping. But that's just me. That's pretty much how I got my art business up and running.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Aw man, had I known I'd not have gotten an LP ! I bought one from Jamie as my first US tarantula.

I mean, I'm happy I have it/her. Because my friend is raising her until I get to the states.

Personally, since I want to get into breeding and selling, my way of doing that would be to give people slings, like LPs or seemannis. You know, fairly common ones until I got a good rep for quality animals and reliable shipping. But that's just me. That's pretty much how I got my art business up and running.
I've given a lot away, but really it hasn't done much to raise my profile as a seller/breeder since most of the recipients of free things don't leave reviews. Granted, that was never my intention and I never asked for reviews. Freebies are most common as add-ons to purchases; many people expect them if they make a large enough purchase. If you end up with too many to handle, I'd suggest selling them wholesale. What you could do is do trades so that people leave reviews. My first few reviews came from trading MMs for other things, then I worked up to small sales. Now I pretty much sell all my slings wholesale so I don't have to feed hundreds of tiny mouths.

Incidentally, I think Aphonopelma seemanni are pretty much all WC. Breeding that species is definitely a worthwhile endeavor. There have been a few species that were readily available for cheap as WC adults, but when the countries of origin clamp down on that practice they disappear from the hobby.

Kat Maehl

3 Year Member
I've given a lot away, but really it hasn't done much to raise my profile as a seller/breeder since most of the recipients of free things don't leave reviews. Granted, that was never my intention and I never asked for reviews. Freebies are most common as add-ons to purchases; many people expect them if they make a large enough purchase. If you end up with too many to handle, I'd suggest selling them wholesale. What you could do is do trades so that people leave reviews. My first few reviews came from trading MMs for other things, then I worked up to small sales. Now I pretty much sell all my slings wholesale so I don't have to feed hundreds of tiny mouths.

Incidentally, I think Aphonopelma seemanni are pretty much all WC. Breeding that species is definitely a worthwhile endeavor. There have been a few species that were readily available for cheap as WC adults, but when the countries of origin clamp down on that practice they disappear from the hobby.
I just bought two adult a. Seemanni from Casey. k, it was a pleasure doing business with her.

And my A. Burica is currently gravid now. So proud.
That being said I don't know how I can bring her/clutch up from Costa Rica. However, eventually I plan to import some specimens up from Costa Rica.

As far as freebies go, maybe I was raised differently but I would reciprocate. Leave reviews and send them some T's once I got established.
I see it as an act of kindness to pay it forward as well as to help that person down the pipe.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Yeah, the adults are probably WC.

It would be difficult to bring her back. That species is available here, but only infrequently. I've raised 6 personally, but haven't seen any available in a while. I don't have an import/export permit, but you might be able to work with someone who does have one.

Many people keep spiders but don't breed or aren't in a situation in which they can afford to give gifts. If I give a mix of slings to someone with 10 tarantulas who never breeds, I don't expect anything in return. I guess that would make it more of a trade than a gift in my mind. Different people handle things differently though. I'm sure any reciprocation would be welcome. The point of that was basically just to advise you not to rely on generosity to start a business. It won't hurt, but it won't do too much to help in that context in my experience.

Kat Maehl

3 Year Member
I have four wild caught ones now. I've been observing them for making a post about them. Can't find much information on their behavior or temperament online. Odd.

But yes. I'm a giver, as far as things like this. I'd like to make it a living, but I'd be happy just to share.

I need to get me a pumpkin patch though... I'm gonna get Helios :)

Thistles

3 Year Member
I have four wild caught ones now. I've been observing them for making a post about them. Can't find much information on their behavior or temperament online. Odd.

But yes. I'm a giver, as far as things like this. I'd like to make it a living, but I'd be happy just to share.

I need to get me a pumpkin patch though... I'm gonna get Helios :)
The sun god?

Pumpkins are great! Lots of tiiiiny babies.

And I assume you were talking about your burica, yeah? Yes, there is very little info about them. They burrow and are very docile. I didn't handle mine, but I wouldn't worry about sustaining a bite.

Thistles

3 Year Member
I have a Grammostola pulchra that ran up a set of tongs at me. They're all individuals. Mine were all mellow, but I also mostly keep OW spiders, so my standards might be different lol.

Kat Maehl

3 Year Member
I have a Grammostola pulchra that ran up a set of tongs at me. They're all individuals. Mine were all mellow, but I also mostly keep OW spiders, so my standards might be different lol.

I've found the males to be a lot more docile.
My main female, not gravid, attacks anything that moves.
She's a vicious creature. Cafe, my gravid female is quite docile, but I haven't interacted with her.

Also, yes, forgot to answer. Indeed it's Helios the sun god :)

Kat Maehl

3 Year Member
I've also found more males to be docile then females. My bigger females, except the porteri, are one and all cranky, cantankerous buttheads. :D I love em.

I sometimes wish I could find one that was completely docile. Not at all likely to bite. I'd love to present them to kids at a nearby school.
I presented Celeste, my mean as a gun female and Mango. Who I've not handled but I'm a little afraid to.

Latest posts