• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to this forum AND Tarantulas

amberkinn

3 Year Member
I finally found myself a Chilean yesterday! ;) Or so I believe?
I am completely new to owning tarantulas, however I have been doing research on how to care for one for months -- and considering it for years...Much to my family and* boyfriend's creeped out ness, lol!
I just happened upon the Chilean in a pet store yesteday and took a chance and splurge bought it. The attendants of the pet shop swore up and down it was aggressive but when I held her (I am calling her Charlotte until I can figure out the sex during a molt) she seemed absolutely fine. Got her into my hand with a little coaxing and she didn't even take a defensive "I am going to bite or flick you" stance.
Anyway, I bought myself an exoterra and moved her into it myself much to the store attendants thanks - she was absolutely terrified! Claimed the other tarantulas were absolutely fine but this one was "aggressive" I don't believe it! Lol.
Either way, I know it's wrong to run off of pictures, but all of the chilean's I have seen are much (fuzzier?) than she is. I considered it could be that she is a baby. She also has lines up and down her appendages. But after closer inspection of other Chilean photos I did notice them somewhat under all the fuzz.
So I am asking for a little help. Attaching some photos for your consideration.

amberkinn

3 Year Member
The photos didn't attach since I am posting this with a mobile device, so I am adding them in the comments.

amberkinn

3 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406996036.502284.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406996047.818883.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406996057.136850.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406996074.571957.jpg

^ those are photos I took with my DSLR
v these are going to be camera phone
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406996115.125527.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406996125.042440.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406996138.010027.jpg

amberkinn

3 Year Member
Okay, so, a link on the "tarantula references" About Chilean rose pretty much cleared things up. Please enjoy the pretty pictures!

katiekatelyn

3 Year Member
That doesn't look like a rosie I ever saw! But either way, Charlotte is beautiful and lucky to have you. :) Rosies like a dry substrate, so a water dish filled with water should be sufficient enough, humidity wise. It's normal for them to refuse food for a few months during premolt, so don't be worried if she stops eating.
If you want to tentatively sex it, provide good clear pictures of the bottom of her abdomen, focusing on her booklungs area.
I have a Charlotte, also. :T:

adz07

3 Year Member
Is it not the red chilean rose I almost got on because of the colour it had and that's what it looks like

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Great pics. It looks like a Haitian Brown to me (Phormictopus cancerides). If this is your first T, I would caution you on handling her. Although it looks like you have tamed the beast but they can deliver a powerful bite so use caution. :eek:

amberkinn

3 Year Member
Great pics. It looks like a Haitian Brown to me (Phormictopus cancerides). If this is your first T, I would caution you on handling her. Although it looks like you have tamed the beast but they can deliver a powerful bite so use caution. :eek:

Haitian Brown? Thanks! I've been wondering why she looks so different compared to Rosies! (Right after a google) Oh my gosh, you're totally right! I had no idea, I thought I was handling a rosie. I will definitely use more caution from now on, but she has never seemed very agitated before or even given me much trouble. I've been very careful when handling in general because it is my first. Are there many key differences in their environmental needs? I will find another care sheet somewhere but if you had any tips that would be helpful as well. Thank you for letting me know what she is! I was in such doubt that she was a rosea.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can share what I know as the Haitian Brown is in my collection as well. They are one of the larger bird eating spiders with a leg span of 8". They can be mildly to extremely aggressive (looks like you have one of the nicer ones). They can shoot the uritcating hairs from the abdomen as well so make sure you protect your eyes and skin when handling. Native temperature is 76-82 degrees and humidity between 65-75%. Big eater and will eat extra large crickets, roaches, worms and even small reptiles/rodents when adult (although not necessary). Terrestrial species and mine likes to burrow.

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
P. cancerides are great, can't wait till my little juvie gets that big. And its far from a baby btw ;) seeing as how you got it from an lps mislabeled as rosea im gonna guess its WC and could be a couple years old.

I keep mine on deep substrate, half moist half dry, allowing the top of the moist side to dry out before re-moistening. Also a water dish & hide of course. It burrowed quiet a bit in its deli cup as a sling but hasn't yet in its newest enclosure. Always hungry, will usually even munch a little on prekilled prey while premolt.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oops. Should have mentioned. Mine has app. a 7" leg span depending on how one measures. Second biggest T in my collection. And yes, they are Awesome!

amberkinn

3 Year Member
Here are some pictures of mine (chasing a cricket and crunching a cricket):

IMG_0087_zps792aa02d.jpg

IMG_0094_zps458be803.jpg

Pretty guy! ;) I'm guessing from the blues it is a male? (Or the lighting? lol) I can't recall correctly but don't the colors make it easier to sex Haitian? I just skimmed over a care sheet and information on them -- I've been crazy busy!

She's been refusing her food, though, and I did read that they pretty much never refuse a meal(?) I don't know why she is refusing. Any suggestions?

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine is actually a girl. A big girl! o_O She just recently molted and came out much darker than pre-molt. Could be the lighting too? I am not the best at taking pictures I admit. Mine stopped eating for about two weeks prior to the molt.

amberkinn

3 Year Member
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407133061.318481.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407133098.753009.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407133113.754183.jpg

Couple more photos from tonight's handling. These are all taken with my phone, but I really liked the first one (6207). He's still been very calm and easy to handle, still rejecting food.

amberkinn

3 Year Member
I just wanted to say thank you all to the responses, and help! I got him more substrate and dampened one half about two days ago, seeing as they like a bit more humidity than rosea. Basically dampened it by overfilling his waterbowl a bit then sprinkling some water here and there in the corner and toward the middle on that side. I'm thinking I really need to buy a cheap water bottle mister, though, because he is constantly sitting in his water bowl on his sponge! Lol I hesitantly let some water drip off my fingers onto him and he didn't hunch back or even seem to dislike it in the slightest. Thinking he just really likes humidity, or maybe it has to do with his molting process? Who knows.

Latest posts