• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the hobby, need some help with a baby G. rosea

Baac

3 Year Member
Hello everyone,
I just got a ½ inch Grammostola rosea 2 days ago, yesterday I decided to try and feed it a B. lateralis pinhead roach. Well the roach was super fast compared to the T, and took cover in the cork bark and has not left. I would just take the cork bark and put it in the oven or shake it out but the T has built a burrow under the bark and I really don't want to disturb it. Any ideas on how to get that roach out? Or would it be safe to leave in for a few days?

Sorry for my noob question and thanks,
Baac

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I you sure the sling hasn't nabbed it already ? also, what size was it,
in future you can pre kill for the little guy,
they are notorious scavengers as babies and will eat a prekilled if they are feeling hungry.
take something soft and brush around the edges and see if you can find it that way, childs paint brush,
make up brush, even a q-tip :p

Baac

3 Year Member
Thanks for the reply and the info, and i'm sure the sling didn't get it yet that thing was way too fast and no dead roach body. I'm sure it's still in the cork bark, it was really small ½ the size of the T. I will try the brush trick and then freeze the little guy to death.

Thanks again for all the help Kymura,
Baac

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Baac, u want ot try to feed prey the size of ur spider's abdomen, not the whole spider. they usually will not attempt to overtake something that large compared to themselves. like kymura said i havent seen the sling that will not scavenge.

Baac

3 Year Member
Thanks for the info Entity! All of my pic's on this account my spiders are feeding. If you wanna take a look at the size of the roach the best pick would be feeding time, under the sling in the substrate.
P.s. I did start killing the roaches before feeding.

Thanks for the help Entity,
Baac

Latest posts