• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to the forum

Lori Torres

3 Year Member
I work in a University setting, with lots of kids coming through our center. I used to have a rose hair (I inherited from a student) and she died this last year after 10 years.

I inherited a pink toe, but she's pretty sketchy, she hadn't ever been handled and she poops and jumps. Her last molt was weird, it was in her webbing on her plant and one of her legs is a bit crooked. I haven't been handling her much and she just kind of hangs out there in the web these days. She doesn't use her log much anymore, is that normal? I think she's 4 years old.

I just got a new rose hair today from Carolina Biological, I'm not sure if it's a male or a female, but it's very young. These spiders are more docile and the kids love to hold them when they come visit. I put some fibrous peat material in the tank (the tank is very large) and cut open a cup and put wood over it to make a darker enclosure.

My questions are: I currently have the pink toe under lights that go come on at 7 am and go off at 5pm. It keeps the tank at 75° consistently. I spray the habitat every day.....should I do that for the rose hair or does it need a different environment? Because this one is so young I am not sure what to do initially.

Any help would be much appreciated. I left my phone at home so can't upload a picture, I can do that tomorrow though.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi and welcome.:)
Firstly, both species like dry substrate as long as they have a water bowl they'll be fine.
The Avicularia is doing as both mine do, hang out in their web, that's normal. They need plenty of ventilation round the top of their containers to prevent the air becoming stale.
Don't spray the rose hair, they hate the wet.
If you can post some pictures of their enclosures we can help you get their set ups right.

Latest posts