• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to tarantulas and love them!

Arachnerd

3 Year Member
Hey all just got myself a nice rose hair tarantula! I love it! Ill post pictures soon since I will most likely need help with my new pet. Glad to be here! :)

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome aboard. Rosies are great Tarantulas. But they definitely have some stressful habits lol Looking forward to the pictures.

Arachnerd

3 Year Member
PC080003.JPG
What kind of stressful habits? Here is a picture of him in his cage any advice is much appreciated I have done my research but still would like to learn from experts haha

Arachnerd

3 Year Member
I was thinking of adding more substrate to the enclosure how much would you suggest? Thanks for the help and the link ill take a look. I appreciate it!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I leave the length of the spider between the top of the tank and the top of the supstrate. For instance if you have a 5" Rose, there should be 5" from the substrate up to the screen top. (rule applies to Terrestrial tarantulas only.)

Arachnerd

3 Year Member
I also am running into trouble with what the cage temperature and what the humidity should be. I look at various caresheets and they tell me humidity should be 50 to 90% yet i look at other care sheets and they say humidity should not be high, yet if the tarantula is spending most of its time near the water dish that you need to raise the humidity. HELP! haha

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Roses are a dry species. Humidity shouldn't be anywhere near 90%. 40% is fine.
Temperature wise, if you're comfortable so is your rose. Most tarantulas do not need an additional heat source. Room temp is fine.
As far as spending time near the water dish.. Most Tarantulas in Pet stores have never had a water dish before, and they likely just want a drink.

Arachnerd

3 Year Member
ok thank you i was just so confused maybe i am looking at the wrong species? Is there only one species of rose? I just dont understand why care sheets online are stating that humidity should always hover around 70% I have been doing this with my rose hair for about 2 days now and i really hope i havent hurt him :(

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Don't worry Roseie's are very Hardy.
There's a lot of bad information out there. A lot of people think the rose hair comes from South America so that makes it tropical. In reality It's a desert species from Chile.

Arachnerd

3 Year Member
Ok good ill be sure to change his living conditions though ASAP. I see well that answers a lot! I cant believe some pet stores have there facts so screwed up! Ill have to let them know or something. Thank you for all your help though. Ill post more pics when I have the time too.

Arachnerd

3 Year Member
One more thing my tarantula hasnt moved from its spot on top of its log for about 2 days. He isnt dead but just hasnt moved spots. Could this be from the moisture that I put into the substrate or something else? Thank you!

john shires

3 Year Member
Hello i have a rose its the first one i got. And like you i have to learn about it. Like yours mine does not like damp if i spray its substrate it will go strait on to its hide, out of the way it don’t like its feet wet. Temp i try and keep it about 75 f i do this with the use of a light bulb a red one. Food i put a small locust in and he/she will eat it within 2/3 days i use locust as they don’t burrow out of the way and i can see them easily so can my Rosie. Mood wise he/she can be moody at times I don’t handle it as I don’t want hairs kicking off and end up having a bald tarantula. It has not shed as yes so I am looking forward to that. John s

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Rose's are a dry species, they don't need a spray, just a water dish is fine. what is the temp of your house? unless it's very cold you shouldn't need that lamp. Also I strongly advise against leaving any prey item in with your T for more than 24 hours. It can be a constant source of stress for your T. As far as the moodyness.. some Rose's are just like that.

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
John, did you mean to post this message in its own thread? We can split a thread if you wish

Arachnerd

3 Year Member
Hey guys just a minor concern I have but I was changing the substrate today of my tarantula to make it deeper and she was kind of freaking out a bit and climbing the glass and stuff and fell. It wasn't a big fall and she seemed to land on her feet it happened fast tho so I am not sure. How bad is a fall to a tarantula? Should I be concerned?

Also about water do tarantulas get there water from food?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Adult(3"+) Tarantulas get their water from a water bowl. Slings get it from a good spray.
As long as you don't see any fluid coming out of her she sjhould be fine. but in the future always remove your tarantula from its enclosure before doing any maitenece

Latest posts