• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to tarantula observing and want to learn.

Nancy Kastle

3 Year Member
Hello! I recently retired to Arizona. Last week a small tarantula wandered into my garage. My husband thought he could scare me by taking me out there to see it, but I thought it was fascinating and put it in an aquarium with water and food and a rock cave I had left over from a previous pet toad. I've read a bit online and through a book from the local library. It looks like an adult male from looking at the front legs, which means it won't be around long, but I think it is so interesting and I can give it a safe place to retire. Right now it is hovering over a meal worm so I think it is eating. It seems to enjoy it's pool with the rock in the middle. Any suggestions for future care?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome to the boards, and an amazing hobby.7
Please, Let the Male Tarantula go. It's only job is to find a mate, and if it can't do so It will not have a nice remainder of it's life.
why let him go to waste?
I am also in Arizona, and will gladly give you a free spiderling to replace it, if you would like; just gotta come get it :)

Atx13

3 Year Member
Welcome to the boards! Maybe with some good luck, a pretty little lady will find her way into your garage :). Male Ts dont live very long, and it would be best to send him on his way, sadly.. Did you get some good pics of the little guy? Would love to see em if so :)

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Welcome to the forum! And the addiction! :) ;)
Would also love to see some photos if you've taken any

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes, hate to rain on your parade, but please let Mr. T go so he can find a lady friend and make more babies!

T's are awesome critters and captive bred are much more ethical and have less of a chance of parasites and such.

Nancy Kastle

3 Year Member
Well, I guess I should take Fluffy for a little ride out into the desert. I KNOW what my neighbor would do to him if he found him. It would involve a shovel. I do hope he finds a nice lady who won't eat him when she is done with him. He has been fascinating to watch and I will keep an eye out for another one that might be a girl. I would love to see the molting process and, from what I've read, Fluffy won't be doing that again. His job is to find a lady and I wish him well.

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I applaud you for making the right decision. Tarantulas are fascinating creatures and the art of their husbandry can be quite addicting.

Captive bred are the most ethical choices for pets. Many species, including some of the most popular ones in the hobby today, are almost non-existent in the wild due to over exporting for the pet trade.

If you would like to try your hand at keeping a tarantula (or two, or three...or six) try someone from the Brachypelma or Grammostola genus. They are typically large, docile, desert types that are great for beginners.

On behalf of all tarantula lovers out there I would like to thank you for making the right decision and welcome you to the wonderful and addicting world of tarantulas.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, I guess I should take Fluffy for a little ride out into the desert. I KNOW what my neighbor would do to him if he found him. It would involve a shovel. I do hope he finds a nice lady who won't eat him when she is done with him. He has been fascinating to watch and I will keep an eye out for another one that might be a girl. I would love to see the molting process and, from what I've read, Fluffy won't be doing that again. His job is to find a lady and I wish him well.
Omg how sad is that. Someone should hit your neighbor with a shovel. Hope you let the t go somewhere nice and he gets lucky. Also hope you get a nice captive need baby

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not Hentzi, Hentzi are Texas natives.Best way to get an ID would be for Nancy to tell us where in Az she found him. and even then it may not be 100%

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Really hope Fluffy finds himself a nice lady friend (one that doesn't eat him right away after he loves her up lol), and they make lots of lovely babies! I also hope that you find yourself a nice captive bred T to give a loving home to :)

Nancy Kastle

3 Year Member
Hi. More info since you seem interested. Fluffy was found in Golden Valley, Arizona. It is way up north, not far from Kingman. He wasn't very big, about 3 inch leg span, but he was very unusual looking for any spider I have ever seen. He deninately had the "spurs" on his front pair of legs. The part of his body the legs attatched to was ivory - almost white in color, with a weird pattern of lines on it. It didn't seem to have any hair on that part. The rear part of the body had dark brown hair, like his legs. From what I saw online and in my library book, I was guessing he was a desert blonde??? He devoured the little meal worm shown in the picture. There was nothing left of it. I still wonder if I sent him out to freeze and starve, but I guess he had a nice Thanksgiving dinner. After that, what happens in nature happens. I can't get excited about buying one from a pet store that probably takes advantage of them. I'll just hang out here and hope to see another one someday. Nancy

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi. More info since you seem interested. Fluffy was found in Golden Valley, Arizona. It is way up north, not far from Kingman. He wasn't very big, about 3 inch leg span, but he was very unusual looking for any spider I have ever seen. He deninately had the "spurs" on his front pair of legs. The part of his body the legs attatched to was ivory - almost white in color, with a weird pattern of lines on it. It didn't seem to have any hair on that part. The rear part of the body had dark brown hair, like his legs. From what I saw online and in my library book, I was guessing he was a desert blonde??? He devoured the little meal worm shown in the picture. There was nothing left of it. I still wonder if I sent him out to freeze and starve, but I guess he had a nice Thanksgiving dinner. After that, what happens in nature happens. I can't get excited about buying one from a pet store that probably takes advantage of them. I'll just hang out here and hope to see another one someday. Nancy

Hard to tell what it is from the description, Desert Blonde, are usually farther south. could be a Payson Blonde.

jtrux

3 Year Member
It's obvious you have an interest so I strongly recommend doing a little research and picking one up. It definitely doesn't have to come from a pet store. There are many choices out there. Maybe take Kenny up on his offer. I gotta warn you though, it's addicting.

Nancy Kastle

3 Year Member
I applaud you for making the right decision. Tarantulas are fascinating creatures and the art of their husbandry can be quite addicting.

Captive bred are the most ethical choices for pets. Many species, including some of the most popular ones in the hobby today, are almost non-existent in the wild due to over exporting for the pet trade.

If you would like to try your hand at keeping a tarantula (or two, or three...or six) try someone from the Brachypelma or Grammostola genus. They are typically large, docile, desert types that are great for beginners.

On behalf of all tarantula lovers out there I would like to thank you for making the right decision and welcome you to the wonderful and addicting world of tarantulas.[/quo