• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Tarantula- Feeding?

Annie

3 Year Member
I just got my first tarantula, a Euathlus sp. Red, and, this may seem stupid, but how do I feed her...? Do I just drop the cricket in her enclosure and wait? I don't want to do anything wrong, my first T and all. I do know these guys are known to go on hunger strikes sometimes, I just have no idea how often to feed her, how to feed her, and also what size cricket should she get? She is 2.5".
Thanks in advance for the help! :D

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, just drop the cricket in and leave her to it. If she hasn't eaten by next morning take it out. At that size she should be able to manage a med-large cricket once a week.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
At that size, adult crickets are fine. I'd feed her one or two every two weeks. Just drop it in front of her, she'll probably grab it immediately. If not just leave it in for an hour or so, and if its still alive, take it back out. Crickets will kill a molting spider, so its not a good idea to drop it in and forget about it. Hope this helps:)

khatchet

3 Year Member
I feed adult cricket to any tarantula 2 inch or bigger, I do this ones a week. For any thing above 2 to 4 inches I feed one cricket a week, 4 to 6 inch 2 adult cricket, 6 to 8 inches 3 adult cricket a week, 8 to 10 inch 4 adult cricket a week. Any thing less then 2 inches I feed one cricket half the size of them a week. I would like to make a note that deepening on what you feed the amount of food will change. Super worm and Dubai rouches you feed less of then crickets. I also do not suggest feeding meal worm, as they are mostly exoskeleton so do not offer much nutritional value.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good point, the amount will depend on the size of the prey. You'll also learn that how often you feed will begin to be in line with what you know each spider likes. In other words you'll know when she's hungry, and won't have any set routine. But that comes later.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You can check out YouTube for feeding videos if you like to learn by watching. There are lots of T feeding out there. However, please don't take what you see as gospel and learn more from observing your own T of what its likes and dislikes and how it is when hungry, in premolt or just plain fasting. This makes their husbandry interesting and fun.

:T: :T: :T: :T: :T: :T: :T: :T:

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've had a couple species that would refuse larger, appropriately-sized prey items, as they seemed to be spooked by them. One of my Euathlus sp. reds was one of them. Drop in a larger cricket, and there was no interests; drop in a small one, and she was all over it. As juveniles, my M. balfouris would also refuse medium roaches and crickets but would readily accept small ones. I've now gotten into the habit of offering something on the smaller side to most of my new acquisitions to see what they'll take. Just something to think about if she doesn't eat right away.