• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New T??

Pasodama

3 Year Member
For a less aggressive T, those in the Brachypelma and Euathlus genus would be good. Some a little better than others.
Also, Grammostola pulchripes and Grammostola pulchra are good.
The Aphonopelma chalcodes (Arizona Blonde) is a good T, also, but, while not generally aggressive, there are those individuals who are.
If you would like to try something a little more aggressive, etc., there are many more to suggest.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Any suggestions as to which T I should get next? I currently only have an Avicularia Avicularia and am wanting a terrestrial next. I think I want an Arizona Blonde, but don't know anyone with experience with them. Any suggestions for a terrestrial T for me??
From what I've read about Arizona blonds is that they are docile, but grow slow. Is there anything in particular you are looking for in a Terrestial? (Color pattern, temperament ,size they become as adults)

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
For a less aggressive T, those in the Brachypelma and Euathlus genus would be good. Some a little better than others.
Also, Grammostola pulchripes and Grammostola pulchra are good.
The Aphonopelma chalcodes (Arizona Blonde) is a good T, also, but, while not generally aggressive, there are those individuals who are.
If you would like to try something a little more aggressive, etc., there are many more to suggest.

I'd say exactly the same!

Loafman

3 Year Member
If you don't plan on handling them then I would suggest an Acanthoscurria Geniculata (Giant white knee), as they are a fantastic display tarantula. I bought 2 tiny spiderlings a few years ago, and while they did seem to burrow/hide while very small (under 1" or so), now they are bigger they are out in the open on display all the time, they never enter their hides. They are very hardy and good looking too, although you don't want to put your hands anywhere near them!
They can also be had for not a lot of cash.. ;)

Redacted

3 Year Member
For beauty and overall docility, I'd go for Bracypelma emilia or Grammostola pulchripes or Grammostola sp. 'Concepcion'. If you're flush with cash- G. pulchra!

Otherwise, I'd try Lasiodora parahybana or Acanthoscurria geniculata. Both big, striking, bulletproof, though I wouldn't personally attempt handling.

Chandler Kaze

3 Year Member
From what I've read about Arizona blonds is that they are docile, but grow slow. Is there anything in particular you are looking for in a Terrestial? (Color pattern, temperament ,size they become as adults)

I think since I'm newer to the hobby docile might be best for now. Something larger, and being able to handle it isn't too much of an issue, I'm sure as my collection grows I'll have a fair share of Ts that I will handle and not handle. Money isn't too large of a factor but I think I'd prefer not to spend too much on T until I feel more confident in my skills and knowledge caring for them.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think since I'm newer to the hobby docile might be best for now. Something larger, and being able to handle it isn't too much of an issue, I'm sure as my collection grows I'll have a fair share of Ts that I will handle and not handle. Money isn't too large of a factor but I think I'd prefer not to spend too much on T until I feel more confident in my skills and knowledge caring for them.
brachypelma albopilosum (honduran curly hair)might be a good choice. from what I've read or heard are they are hardy,docile and rarely kick hairs. They get to be a nice size T and are about 20$ at the most for a sling. I just recently was gifted one so i did my homework on them to know what to expect,haha. I also reccomend investing in Stanley Schultz's book "the tarantula keepers guide" .
image.jpg

Loafman

3 Year Member
brachypelma albopilosum (honduran curly hair)might be a good choice. from what I've read or heard are they are hardy,docile and rarely kick hairs. They get to be a nice size T and are about 20$ at the most for a sling. I just recently was gifted one so i did my homework on them to know what to expect,haha. I also reccomend investing in Stanley Schultz's book "the tarantula keepers guide" .
View attachment 22233

Awesome book.. everyone should own a copy!

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Very true. But they also arent readily available. Well atleast in my search. Ive seen one breeder out of the 4 I deal that have them.

Yeah, not a very readily available T. I do know of at least two breeders who, currently, have them though.

Chandler Kaze

3 Year Member
Well does anyone recommend and places online they order Ts from? I have a local reptile store I got to, but they are more common Ts like pink toes and rose hairs. I'm a little nervous online and the T being transported because where I live its pretty cold for the next few months.

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
Well does anyone recommend and places online they order Ts from? I have a local reptile store I got to, but they are more common Ts like pink toes and rose hairs. I'm a little nervous online and the T being transported because where I live its pretty cold for the next few months.

Most people can ship overnight with a 48 or 72 hour heat pack. I prefer to buy from fellow hobbyists on he forum because I feel that's where you get the best service and pricing but that's just my own personal experiences. There are a lot of reviews of different dealers and such in the for sale section.

Redacted

3 Year Member
Jamie's tarantulas is an excellent vendor AND she is nearby in California.