• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New T & I haven't been on here in a while

eminart

3 Year Member
Just got a new T, and it reminded me I haven't visited this forum in months.

New T Story:

My lovely wife and thoughtful daughter got me a B. smithi sling last December (2015) for my birthday. After a few molts I began to suspect something was fishy. My little smithi turned into a B. vagans! The magic of evolution! ;) I contacted the breeder/dealer and he apologized and offered a replacement. It was an honest mixup, I know. But, I never got around to driving to his place to pick one up due to my wife and I both getting new jobs, and we bought a new house and moved (slighter farther from the breeder).

So, anyway, a few weeks ago I was helping my daughter (11) sell her leopard gecko colony. A lady made me an offer that was just a little less than I'd asked. I happened to know that this lady also sells T's. So, I told her if she threw in a B. smithi sling she had a deal. She agreed but didn't have any smithis in stock, but offered to get one. I never really reminded her and some weeks have gone by. But, there was a reptile show in town last weekend, and I remembered she'd be there. So, I contacted her, but she still didn't have any smithis. She offered to get me one and throw in a bonus spider because it had been so long. But, I started thinking and browsing her inventory. I like poeci's. She just got in some P. metallicas... I asked her about a discount, but she said I could have one. Sweet!

He/she is in the 1/2-3/4" range and is a very active little guy.

TL;DR version: Smithi was Vagans. Eventually got Poecilotheria metallica sling as replacement.

eminart

3 Year Member
Thanks, guys. I'm excited to see the little guy grow. I'm not one of those people that just loves every blue spider out there. And, honestly, I like some of the other poeci's just as much as the metallica. So, I should probably collect them all! ;) So far I only have P. regalis and P. metallica. I need to get busy.

Latest posts