• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Slings Help

Ghost

3 Year Member
Well it's true. They typically don't develop it until that size.

I really don't know where your getting your information from,but I'm going to assume its not from experience of keeping this species for very long,because if you had been keeping these over any length of time from slings to adults then you would know that your above statement is simply wrong.....

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I really don't know where your getting your information from,but I'm going to assume its not from experience of keeping this species for very long,because if you had been keeping these over any length of time from slings to adults then you would know that your above statement is simply wrong.....
You're wrong. I've kept multiple specimens from sling to adult.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Want proof? Here's my largest specimen. You can doubt me Al m you want, I'm going by my personal experiences.
uploadfromtaptalk1435951331690.jpg

Ghost

3 Year Member

Yeah I'm wrong I'll tell you wha

Yeah 25+ years of keeping and breeding OBTs,pokies and various other species off T's and I'm wrong lol.

I'm afraid I'm not going to sit back and let you give out blatantly wrong information to a new keeper who now thinks that he'll be fine and won't get tagged by his OBT untill it reaches 2 or 3 inches.....

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah I'm wrong I'll tell you wha

Yeah 25+ years of keeping and breeding OBTs,pokies and various other species off T's and I'm wrong lol.

I'm afraid I'm not going to sit back and let you give out blatantly wrong information to a new keeper who now thinks that he'll be fine and won't get tagged by his OBT untill it reaches 2 or 3 inches.....
You've misunderstood me. I'm not saying it isn't possible to get tagged by a sling. Some individuals will develop defensive behavior earlier than others. I'm going by my personal experience here though, and in my experience They don't develop this attitude until they hit about 2 inches. I'm sorry if my personal experiences differ from yours. No need yo be a jerk about it though.

Also when I said "you're wrong" I was saying you're wrong in assuming that I don't have any experience with this species, which is rather unfair to do. Now if you'd like to continue to prove how superior you are over me with your experience, I suggest you do so over PM. Otherwise I'm done talking to you.

Last edited:

Ghost

3 Year Member
You've misunderstood me. I'm not saying it isn't possible to get tagged by a sling. Some individuals will develop defensive behavior earlier than others. I'm going by my personal experience here though, and in my experience They don't develop this attitude until they hit about 2 inches. I'm sorry if my personal experiences differ from yours. No need yo be a jerk about it though.

Also when I said "you're wrong" I was saying you're wrong in assuming that I don't have any experience with this species, which is rather unfair to do. Now if you'd like to continue to prove how superior you are over me with your experience, I suggest you do so over PM. Otherwise I'm done talking to you.

I'm not being a jerk and I don't think I'm superior to anyone,but as I said I'm not going to sit back and allow you to give out information that's simply wrong,and could get any newbie tagged if they were to listen,also this isn't the first time you've dished out incorrect information on this forum but you don't seem to care.
Anyway I'm not going to hijack the OPs thread anymore so this will be my last response in this thread....,

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm not being a jerk and I don't think I'm superior to anyone,but as I said I'm not going to sit back and allow you to give out information that's simply wrong,and could get any newbie tagged if they were to listen,also this isn't the first time you've dished out incorrect information on this forum but you don't seem to care.
Anyway I'm not going to hijack the OPs thread anymore so this will be my last response in this thread....,
How is it going to get him tagged? My point is that no one should get too relaxed with a sling of this species, because slings are more likely to run when startled. This is how people get bit. They become too comfortable with this behavior, and thus assume that this is how the spider will always react when disturbed. They do become more defensive as they get bigger. That is a fact. Like I said before, defensive behavior might appear earlier in some individuals than others.

I'd like to know what "misinformation" you're talking about. You think you can just start accusing others of spreading misinformation and not expect any retaliation? You wanna play the game, you better know the rules.

AndrewBush89

3 Year Member
Wow I appreciate both your guys info Chubb's and ghost I do not plan on letting my guard down around any of my t's NW or OW. I don't ever plan on purposely holding my obt and I sure as heck going to try to avoid getting tagged by it.

Down with OBT

3 Year Member
here's my personal experience with OBT. 5 adults 3 female 2 male and 1 sac of slings raised to 2". Not one of the slings gave a threat pose. Therefore my personal experience is they are far more skittish and less likely to stay and fight when young. This does not by any stretch mean they are a G. rosea until 2". If anything I means they are less predictable because we all know a 5" will stand and fight to the death.

AndrewBush89

3 Year Member
Hey is it normal for b. Albopilosum slings to bury the entrance to there dens both mine have decided to dig there own instead of use the hide I provided. But is it normal for them to cover the entrance up??

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My 3 have all lived on the bottom of their containers for months although 2 have begun to spend more time on the surface now they are about 1'' dls. They build amazing tunnels and if you're lucky you can watch them scuttling around, always busy digging.

AndrewBush89

3 Year Member
So I'm thinking of getting a few more tarantulas. But I'm staying away from OW spieces though I think they are amazing I better stick to easier NW. Looking for some suggestions I already have a LP, 2 b. Albopilosums, and 2 g rosea's are there any others that I should look into? I think I've caught the addiction to something I fear lol

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
These are all NW:-

Holothele incei – A dwarf that will reach around 2’’. They are fast but amazing webbers, filling the container with web tunnels, and good feeders.
Oligoxystre diamantinensis – A colourful arboreal that will web to the top of the container and sit right at the top. Mine seems to be very placid and I can lift the lid and it will stay still.
Kochiana brunnipes – Another dwarf of around 2’’. Good feeders that will burrow as slings although mine are beginning to spend more time at the surface
Euathlus sp "red" - A small T that will only to around 3’’. Mine is very tiny still but a very active T that doesn’t hide away.

AndrewBush89

3 Year Member
Thank you
These are all NW:-

Holothele incei – A dwarf that will reach around 2’’. They are fast but amazing webbers, filling the container with web tunnels, and good feeders.
Oligoxystre diamantinensis – A colourful arboreal that will web to the top of the container and sit right at the top. Mine seems to be very placid and I can lift the lid and it will stay still.
Kochiana brunnipes – Another dwarf of around 2’’. Good feeders that will burrow as slings although mine are beginning to spend more time at the surface
Euathlus sp "red" - A small T that will only to around 3’’. Mine is very tiny still but a very active T that doesn’t hide away.
Thank you I will deffinatly look into them any sites you know that have them up for sale. I'm trying to stay away from slings that are a 1/4 inch or under after my h. Gigas escaped tell I get a little more exp in them my LP I put in a container with smaller holes but I thought my giagas was larger so I want to avoid a similar situation

Latest posts