• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New locations on Google maps

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So venting a bit here since everyone around me at work is on the phone ;)

On facebook my uncle posted pics and complaints of a popular place we've been going to since i was a kid some 30+ years ago. We call it the Swing Tree. It's a place up in the mountains near where i grew up. You hike a half mile or so into the forest and there's a clearing with a huge tree. 60 some years ago or more someone climbed way up and cut all the branches off, attached a thick 1" cable, or maybe bigger, near the top of the tree and a handle on the bottom end of the cable. the ground there has quite a slope, so you hold on to that handle and run out until your feet leave the ground. then you swing out over hte tree tops below you, and come back to land on the other side of the tree.

Used to spend weekends up there swinging and seeing who could do the most spins before htey came back to land. was a blast!

Anyway back to my rant :) I was looking on google maps at this location and noticed a new "town" just south of where i grew up. This town consists of an old doublewide trailer, a barn about 50 yards or so east of that, and then a large 4 or 5 bedroom farmhouse on the other side of the barn.

So what does it take to get a location added to google? Do i just submit my street address and i can become the town of Kormath with 2 residents? :p And they claim to be the most accurate online map available? which isn't much of a claim considering the alternatives are mapquest and apple maps :p

MiaWolf42

3 Year Member
I had to add my work on the map. I was tired of all the customers coming in and saying' I've been driving around for twenty minutes and couldn't find you.' It's amazing to me they don't know what a suite number is. Okay that's my rant.

When I added my edit to their map it states it is being reviewed. Once the review is done they send you an email saying your edit is live. I'm not sure their procedures for accuracy.

So, you could try and see what happens.

The tree sounds really cool.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
here's a pic of the Swingin Tree :) my dad is enjoying a swing. He's about 6ft or so off the ground here. You can see my uncle just on the right edge of the pic sitting on a log. When you go out that far your about 20 ft give or take off the ground from the slope. I'm standing back up by the tree looking down slope taking the pic so you can't really see the grade.

20140712_110020.jpg

Latest posts