• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New here

Mtinney

3 Year Member
Hey! I'm Misha, new to this sight. I've admired spiders nearly all of my life. Though after I watched arachnophobia (The movie) and since I was pretty young it caused me to become terrified of spiders for several years. But I've overcome my fear of spiders once again. Though I'll admit when I find a huge wolf spider in my house I tend to mildly freak out. At first. But I'm easily frightened when not expecting something.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They are wonderful easy fascinating pets.
I've always loved and watched them. This just means my old butt doesn't have to do it outside now. Welcome to the boards, happy to have you here. Are you considering a tarantula? Or have one ? (Not a requirement obviously)

Mtinney

3 Year Member
Im considering. Just don't really know where to start. I want one that's docile so, need be, I can pick it up with minimal risk of injury, to either of us. & I'm a digital artist, so having a model (the tarantula) for some of my art would be AWESOME!! But I'm aslo college student. So that means I don't have much money to spare. & I can't drive, too expensive where I live. My mom/ride is terrified of spiders.. Basically my options are limited. I should add that Care & upkeep won't be an issue when it comes to money. But the money for the actual tarantula itself needs to be minimal.

Last edited:

Thistles

3 Year Member
Petco recently started selling spiderlings. That might be an option for you. PetSmart also sometimes carries Avicularia sp. you could also order online, which is what most people do. The shipping is expensive, but it's the best way to get variety and it's generally safe.

As far as where to start, a Grammostola, Brachypelma, Aphonopelma, Euathlus... Many good starter genera are out there.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Most of us are fans of the
Brachypelma albopilosum as a usually laid back beginning T. Super busy baby's burrowing and changing things to their liking. Easy to keep and not normally defensive.
Each T though is an individual so results may vary :p jamiestarantulas.com has reasonable shipping and starter kits with everything you need including the T.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Any recommendations on breed?
Just a quibble: the different varieties of tarantula are actually distinct species rather than "breeds" like different breeds of dog or horse or whatever. Dogs are all one species. Tarantulas are far more diverse! Kymura's suggestion is a great one. Brachypelma albopilosum are hardy, docile and interesting to observe. Most of the species in the genera I mentioned above are also good first choices.

Mtinney

3 Year Member
Just a quibble: the different varieties of tarantula are actually distinct species rather than "breeds" like different breeds of dog or horse or whatever. Dogs are all one species. Tarantulas are far more diverse! Kymura's suggestion is a great one. Brachypelma albopilosum are hardy, docile and interesting to observe. Most of the species in the genera I mentioned above are also good first choices.

Haha, sorry, I kinda call everything a breed. I'll try and remember that. And I did see your list! Its hard for me to decide. XD

Mtinney

3 Year Member
Most of us are fans of the
Brachypelma albopilosum as a usually laid back beginning T. Super busy baby's burrowing and changing things to their liking. Easy to keep and not normally defensive.
Each T though is an individual so results may vary :p jamiestarantulas.com has reasonable shipping and starter kits with everything you need including the T.

It's.. So.. FLUFFY!! -insert heart eyes emoji here- It shall be my muse!

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Quick heads up, G rosea are awesome tarantulas and I adore mine as well as my adult porteri (often sold as Chilean rose) they aren't the best starters IMPO. They are moody, known to fast for long periods (talking months here) and when content basically do nothing. Hence the 'pet rock' handle. I have a lovely juvenile rosea that will absolutely do it's best to tag you just because it's 'her' enclosure and she doesn't appreciate you messing around with it. My adult female Karma will rush across her enclosure to slap at you and I have no doubt she would enjoy nothing more then to kill that monster (me) invading her space.
Still awesome T's and I love all of mine. Just be aware if you decide on one. :)

Mtinney

3 Year Member
Quick heads up, G rosea are awesome tarantulas and I adore mine as well as my adult porteri (often sold as Chilean rose) they aren't the best starters IMPO. They are moody, known to fast for long periods (talking months here) and when content basically do nothing. Hence the 'pet rock' handle. I have a lovely juvenile rosea that will absolutely do it's best to tag you just because it's 'her' enclosure and she doesn't appreciate you messing around with it. My adult female Karma will rush across her enclosure to slap at you and I have no doubt she would enjoy nothing more then to kill that monster (me) invading her space.
Still awesome T's and I love all of mine. Just be aware if you decide on one. :)
I checked the website @Denny Dee mentioned and saw it had Brazilian bird eaters listed in the beginners section... Are they good beginner T's? Kinda in love over here

Thistles

3 Year Member
Look at this big mamba jamba and tell me she ain't a cutie image.jpg

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Try if you can to use their proper names. So many share a common name it can end up being confusing. If you mean Lasiodora parahybana
(usually referred to as LP on most forums etc)
Then my personal opinion is yes.
Was my third T and while it's still small I've had zero issues. Eats well, fairly visible even as a sling, I read that they are fast growing but mine is not. I have others bought after that one, that have far outgrown it. Plus side to that is you have plenty of time to get used to your particular T.

Mtinney

3 Year Member
Try if you can to use their proper names. So many share a common name it can end up being confusing. If you mean Lasiodora parahybana
(usually referred to as LP on most forums etc)
Then my personal opinion is yes.
Was my third T and while it's still small I've had zero issues. Eats well, fairly visible even as a sling, I read that they are fast growing but mine is not. I have others bought after that one, that have far outgrown it. Plus side to that is you have plenty of time to get used to your particular T.

Ok, Nhandh chromatus or Lasiodora parahybana.

timc

3 Year Member
I'd go with the L. parahybana just because I have experience with it and can say that it's a pretty hardy and wonderful spider. Great eater, always visible, has grown about 3 inches in the last year, and will get a lot bigger. I've heard they can be pretty fierce hair kickers but I've never been kicked at. She does however bury her boluses but I've never had any mold or anything grow in her enclosure. Awesome pet. I've read Nhandu can be a little on the meaner side but never owned one.

Telson

3 Year Member
I suggest a Phormictopus species. You'll hear them called evil and mean and psycho, but I have several, and none of them are aggressive. They are, however, a little more active then L.p., and if anything they may be even hardier..they grow fast, get big, and eat like they're starving. My personal favorite genus, hands down. And they come in so many different colors..;)

Latest posts