• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New guy in town

Stardust

3 Year Member
good evening ,
so I've recently discovered this form with hopes that somebody can identify a Spiderling I have. I was only half paing attention when I bought it at the pet store I thought I was purchasing a avicularia versicolor,I know I am atleast half right . This has caused me to realize the general lack of information I have . I am hoping to gain some knolige from some of the more experienced ladies and gentlemen out their any help is appreciated
IMG_0300.JPG

Last edited:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the forum. Lovely looking sling but it is not a versicolor. At a guess, as avics can be hard when slings as they change colours so often, purely on the current colors and chevron type abdomen markings I would shortlist as one of he following:
A. Pulchra
A. Ecuador
A. Guyana
Or maybe none of them......☺
I take it there is nothing in the receipt or the store has more in stock for you to look at and confirm?
Avics of all species generally have the same care requirements so thee is no particular issues with not being too specific at this stage. As it gets older, it may be easier to identify. Sorry I can't be of more help. There is a specific Avicularia thread on here too that you could also try.

Stardust

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome to the forum. Lovely looking sling but it is not a versicolor. At a guess, as avics can be hard when slings as they change colours so often, purely on the current colors and chevron type abdomen markings I would shortlist as one of he following:
A. Pulchra
A. Ecuador
A. Guyana
Or maybe none of them......☺
I take it there is nothing in the receipt or the store has more in stock for you to look at and confirm?
Avics of all species generally have the same care requirements so thee is no particular issues with not being too specific at this stage. As it gets older, it may be easier to identify. Sorry I can't be of more help. There is a specific Avicularia thread on here too that you could also try.

The recipe is just a general recipe. I've been meaning to go back the woman I acquired this fine creature from, she seemed very knowledgeable. I ruled out it being an A.versicolor because it doesn't have the deep blue hue you see when you Google image serch A.versicolor. I'll have to give that thread a look over . I appreciate your advice and time very much, thank you kindly .

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The recipe is just a general recipe. I've been meaning to go back the woman I acquired this fine creature from, she seemed very knowledgeable. I ruled out it being an A.versicolor because it doesn't have the deep blue hue you see when you Google image serch A.versicolor. I'll have to give that thread a look over . I appreciate your advice and time very much, thank you kindly .
You are most welcome. There are loads of people on here that love to help where we can. That's what I think makes this forum so special.

Stardust

3 Year Member
Welcome. Interested to see what your sling turns out to be.
Welcome. Interested to see what your sling turns out to be.

Thank you. it's sorta oddly exciting for me. When I had got it she had three avicularia one versicolor and two others I got to excited and stopped listening. It's almost more fun this way if you don't mind seeming wildly ignorant.

Stardust

3 Year Member
I did wonder if it could be an A. laeta. They are blue when tiny but change colour, mine changed at her 6th moult

A.laeta
View attachment 21359
I suspect my sling molted recently. It had went into hiding for about four days, and now seems to have doubled in size. I may have a different picture of it on my phone it's really more pink, orange in the legs with medium blue at the tips

Stardust

3 Year Member
I always used the Tarantula Canada gallery to identify Ts because they show adult males, females and slings of most species but even they haven't been able to keep up. (http://tarantulacanada.ca/info_en.php?page=gallery#Avicularia)
That's a pretty cool resource. In addition I really had no concept that there where so many different verity of avicularia, of which fair deal of the slings look very similar. I belive my best option is to go to where I got it and just ask

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's a pretty cool resource. In addition I really had no concept that there where so many different verity of avicularia, of which fair deal of the slings look very similar. I belive my best option is to go to where I got it and just ask

Yes, you're best option is to ask the seller unless you're prepared to wait until it get it's adult colours :T: