• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New from ohio

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Hello everyone. I've been in the hobby for about 2 years now. Currently own 7 Ts. 3 adults, 1 juvenile and 3 slings. Getting ready to expand my collection so im looking forward to any advice that can be given. Thanks guys!!!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, welcome to the forum. You've found a great place for friendly, helpful advice so just ask away :)

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Thanks for the warm welcomes. Excited to finally meet other's that love T's as much as i do. Im looking to expand my collection and possibly get into a old world species. Found a local dealer with a Stromatopelma Calceatum. Anyone know if this is good choice for a first time old world? I've wanted to get something different for a while and this is the first old world i came across in person.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What are you currently keeping? Helps to know what your used to as far as temperament speed etc.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Just basics. G.rosea, A.avicularia, A.seemanni, G.pulchripe, B.Albopilosum, C.cyaneopubescens and recently added L.parahybana. Nothing real fast and all are pretty docile with the exception of my rosea. More experience with terrestrial species but i want another aborial.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If you want an arboreal and something a bit faster etc. Get a nice Psalmopoeus cambridgei maybe, or an irminia, you alone know your comfort level and I won't preach about any ladder system at you. Folks are individuals. I just feel personally an avic (and I love them) won't prepare you at all for the attitude and speed of some of the old world's. There are others here that know far more about which old world might be best to start with.
Please remember, and I promise I'm not preaching at you. . OW have medically significant venom Some enough to kill a dog or cat with one bite, think what would happen to a child if it was to fast for you to control. Some of these T's could send an adult to the hospital. All I'm saying is to be well aware of what your getting into and keeping a couple quicker sometimes defensive (and beautiful) Psalmos first might be a good idea. :p
Now, as I said. I don't know you personally so only you honestly know what you'd be comfy with.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
If you want an arboreal and something a bit faster etc. Get a nice Psalmopoeus cambridgei maybe, or an irminia, you alone know your comfort level and I won't preach about any ladder system at you. Folks are individuals. I just feel personally an avic (and I love them) won't prepare you at all for the attitude and speed of some of the old world's. There are others here that know far more about which old world might be best to start with.
Please remember, and I promise I'm not preaching at you. . OW have medically significant venom Some enough to kill a dog or cat with one bite, think what would happen to a child if it was to fast for you to control. Some of these T's could send an adult to the hospital. All I'm saying is to be well aware of what your getting into and keeping a couple quicker sometimes defensive (and beautiful) Psalmos first might be a good idea. :p
Now, as I said. I don't know you personally so only you honestly know what you'd be comfy with.
Thanks, ive looked into p.cambridgei before but can only find slings. Im confident in my self but then again never want to put my family at risk. Thats why im on here tho for reassurance and to meet people who are willing to be honest. I think im going to hold off for now but it was cool to see and know there's a place around here that actully kept them. Any time im out and see a new species that i dont have ill jump on it right away but that one i figured id ask about. The guy didnt have much info on it and was very suprised to see it at a exotic reptile store.

Last edited:

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks, ive looked into p.cambridgei before but can only find slings. Im confident in my self but then again never want to put my family at risk. Thats why im on here tho for reassurance and to meet people who are willing to be honest. I think im going to hold off for now but it was cool to see and know there's a place around here that actully kept them. Any time im out and see a new species that i dont have ill jump on it right away but that one i figured id ask about. The guy didnt have much info on it and was very suprised to see it at a exotic reptile store.
Casey has a gorgeous adult female P. irminia on her sale thread, just so you can get a peek :D

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanks for the warm welcomes. Excited to finally meet other's that love T's as much as i do. Im looking to expand my collection and possibly get into a old world species. Found a local dealer with a Stromatopelma Calceatum. Anyone know if this is good choice for a first time old world? I've wanted to get something different for a while and this is the first old world i came across in person.

S. calceatum has a reputation for being fast and aggressive and not generally recommended for a newcomer to Ts. Mine is around 1.5" dls and so far is more incline to run and hide than attack. I'm not one to discourage you from getting one, my first ever T was an OBT, but you need to be aware of it capabilities and always take care.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello everyone. I've been in the hobby for about 2 years now. Currently own 7 Ts. 3 adults, 1 juvenile and 3 slings. Getting ready to expand my collection so im looking forward to any advice that can be given. Thanks guys!!!
Welcome to the forum. You will love it here, great people with lots of friendly advice and very welcoming. Nice collection and with them being slings you will have many a year watching them grow and transform. Enjoy the forum ☺

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
S. calceatum has a reputation for being fast and aggressive and not generally recommended for a newcomer to Ts. Mine is around 1.5" dls and so far is more incline to run and hide than attack. I'm not one to discourage you from getting one, my first ever T was an OBT, but you need to be aware of it capabilities and always take care.
Yeah i knew they were alot faster and more aggressive, that dosnt bother me but i didnt really take into consideration that the vinom is much stronger and with me having kids in the house id hate for anything to happen. So im just gonna stick with what i know for now.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Welcome!

My first OW was a sling, Heterothele gabonensis, but I lost it in a moult attempt. My second is a now 1.5-2" Chaetopelma olivaceum which is super fast more inclined to hide rather than attack/be aggressive. It is sassy and often tries to escape. It did escape in my room for two days right when I first got it, but did not attack anything, just stayed hidden under my keyboard even when I was searching and moving stuff around near it.

That's my only real input haha.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Welcome!

My first OW was a sling, Heterothele gabonensis, but I lost it in a moult attempt. My second is a now 1.5-2" Chaetopelma olivaceum which is super fast more inclined to hide rather than attack/be aggressive. It is sassy and often tries to escape. It did escape in my room for two days right when I first got it, but did not attack anything, just stayed hidden under my keyboard even when I was searching and moving stuff around near it.

That's my only real input haha.
Wow that would be nerve racking. Atleast you got him/her back safely.