• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Behaviour

cyanide

3 Year Member
I purchased a 1.25" cyaneopubecens back in late August. However, tonight when I was feeding it I wanted to take a photo of it with my phone, while my phone was hovering over the deli cup the spiderling started to shake it's abdomen. I'm not sure if this was a reaction to the phone overhead or if it usually does this when biting prey and I just don't notice it because the I'm busy getting the lid back on.
I'm wondering if any one else has noticed this in their own tarantulas.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I purchased a 1.25" cyaneopubecens back in late August. However, tonight when I was feeding it I wanted to take a photo of it with my phone, while my phone was hovering over the deli cup the spiderling started to shake it's abdomen. I'm not sure if this was a reaction to the phone overhead or if it usually does this when biting prey and I just don't notice it because the I'm busy getting the lid back on.
I'm wondering if any one else has noticed this in their own tarantulas.

It's a defensive posture. New World speices use urticating hairs as defense rather than biting.

cyanide

3 Year Member
I haven't witnessed that particular defensive posture before. But it does make sense, I'd get pretty defensive if some massive thing hung over me while I was trying to enjoy my meal.

Latest posts