• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New B. Vagans

Nastyjabs

3 Year Member
Picked this beautiful girl up at the last reptile show in Pomona the other week. I was originally hoping to find a Euthalus Sp. Red but nobody had them. Once I saw this girl I couldn't say no...although the real selling point was how docile she was. The guy showing her to me literally stuck his hand in the cage and picked her up. He flipped her upside down to show me her underside and she didn't seem to care one bit! I've always read how skittish and bite prone this species can be. Maybe she's an exception?
IMG_20170108_211203_775.jpg

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Congrats on your beautiful, new, girl.:)

In general, the B. vagans are considered a reasonably docile (temperament) species but, if you talk to many owners, the B. vagans seem to be "like a box of chocolates".;)

Redacted

3 Year Member
Most of mine have been calm, wven if active. Haven't had a biter or threatener yet, but have had ones that were skittish.

Nastyjabs

3 Year Member
Here's a shot of her for size comparison. I just upsized her enclosure and she did not like it too much...definitely a hair flicker. She came in a shoebox sized container and I just felt like it was a bit too small. I put her it one about double the size. Hopefully she approves once she calms down.
DSC_1192.JPG

Nastyjabs

3 Year Member
Thanks for the all the kind words guys! I just wanted to update that she seems to be doing pretty well in her larger enclosure. She's been busy covering EVERYTHING in a layer of webbing(including the entrance to her hide) and seems to have a real liking to large crickets...or maybe she really hates them? Either way they last about a second before she removes their existence from the earth, lol.

Redacted

3 Year Member
Thanks for the all the kind words guys! I just wanted to update that she seems to be doing pretty well in her larger enclosure. She's been busy covering EVERYTHING in a layer of webbing(including the entrance to her hide) and seems to have a real liking to large crickets...or maybe she really hates them? Either way they last about a second before she removes their existence from the earth, lol.
At that body size, roaches might be more economical and nutritious.

Nastyjabs

3 Year Member
At that body size, roaches might be more economical and nutritious.
To be honest she seems to be a finicky eater. I've tried giving her super worms and she won't touch them. I actually tried feeding her a small 1.5“ potato bug I caught at the local park last week and she wouldn't touch it either. I'd like to try roaches but I don't want to buy them and have her not eat them...maybe if I can just buy one.

Redacted

3 Year Member
To be honest she seems to be a finicky eater. I've tried giving her super worms and she won't touch them. I actually tried feeding her a small 1.5“ potato bug I caught at the local park last week and she wouldn't touch it either. I'd like to try roaches but I don't want to buy them and have her not eat them...maybe if I can just buy one.
I'd be shocked if she refused a dubia. probably part of her past diet.

Latest posts