• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need Suggestions For Substrate

MichaelWayneBurton96

3 Year Member
I have two Chilean Roses, the spiderling is on coco fiber and the adult one is on jungle mix. I also have a pink toe that was sent home from the pet store on reptile-bark, her enclosure is the one I'm working on. What substrate should I be using? I need something that would be kind of an all purpose substrate for all my tarantulas, any suggestions?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Me to. Also called Coir in the UK and can be bought in massive quantities if needed.also comes washed and sterilised so is free of any nasties. I sometimes mix in some peat or top soil/potting soul but very rarely tbh.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The most satisfactory substrate for me is jungle mix, potting soil and vermiculite. Lately Ive been looking at more clay/rock/sand setups for my dry species. I have three or four set up that way, plus some arid scorps.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
I use peat blonde as substrate. It's rather acid, which helps to fight against parasits; it holds its shape well, for digging; and it keeps humidity well to. Perfect!

The only negative point (and it's an important one!) is: this is not ecological at all, as peat is taken from swamps and takes hundreds of years to form. That makes me hesitate a lot... and gives me a heavy guilt feeling...

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use peat blonde as substrate. It's rather acid, which helps to fight against parasits; it holds its shape well, for digging; and it keeps humidity well to. Perfect!

The only negative point (and it's an important one!) is: this is not ecological at all, as peat is taken from swamps and takes hundreds of years to form. That makes me hesitate a lot... and gives me a heavy guilt feeling...
heh, i just bought another "bale" of peat a 3.3 cu. ft. bag. i love the lightness of it for my enclosures, since some of the larger ones are now on shelves. I've been mixing about 60/40 peat and eco-earth coco fiber, i'm running low on the eco-earth ;) some of my enclosures, like the rosea and avic are straight dry peat.

Belegnole

3 Year Member
I've tried peat, coco-fiber, and dirt. Right now plain old additive free topsoil is winning out. Though a topsoil/peat enclosure is working well. Aside from weight I have found that topsoil is the best for me because it is the most naturally realistic, cheap and best I'm not allergic to it.

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The most satisfactory substrate for me is jungle mix, potting soil and vermiculite. Lately Ive been looking at more clay/rock/sand setups for my dry species. I have three or four set up that way, plus some arid scorps.
There's a clay product ment for pets were you can make your own tunnels and stuff. I'll post a link

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Coco fiber is good.
Haven't tried clay, yet, but it sounds good. Although I don't think clay is really needed for an arboreal.
I am using an all organic topsoil that contains peat, ground coco husks, etc. mixed with vermiculite. Has been working great.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
Yea my rose hair from the pet shop was house on repti bark as well.. the owner said the best substrate for her would be 50/50 mix of repti bark and calci sand... upon googling when I got home I found that was your standard case of clueless pet store owner.. but I used the repti bark for my ball python and calci sand in my emperor scorpion enclosure and just went to lowe's (a department/home improvement/DIY store in case thats only a american store chain?) and bought her some organic top soil and she loved it.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lowes is international, they have stores in Canada and Mexico. i've been thinking of using my sand and clay I bought to use for scorpions in the arboreal enclosures. Be a good way i'm thinking to keep the twigs and leaves in place instead of hot gluing them to the sides.

Arachnes' Acolyte

3 Year Member
I have two Chilean Roses, the spiderling is on coco fiber and the adult one is on jungle mix. I also have a pink toe that was sent home from the pet store on reptile-bark, her enclosure is the one I'm working on. What substrate should I be using? I need something that would be kind of an all purpose substrate for all my tarantulas, any suggestions?
My go to and what I absolutely love substrate(just my opinion) is ecoearth MIXED with vermiculite. The vermiculite is very resistant to mold but retains moisture like a boss! The combo can be set to accommodate any arid or humid environmental needs! My opinion is try to steer away from reptibark, nothing wrong with the product itself....it really doesn't accommodate Ts. For an aboreal....if you just like the way it looks....mix some in with your substrate....but make sure you get the humidity right....bark doesn't hold moisture well. However.....this is all just my opinion, hope it was helpful bro....good luck!

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
My go to and what I absolutely love substrate(just my opinion) is ecoearth MIXED with vermiculite. The vermiculite is very resistant to mold but retains moisture like a boss! The combo can be set to accommodate any arid or humid environmental needs! My opinion is try to steer away from reptibark, nothing wrong with the product itself....it really doesn't accommodate Ts. For an aboreal....if you just like the way it looks....mix some in with your substrate....but make sure you get the humidity right....bark doesn't hold moisture well. However.....this is all just my opinion, hope it was helpful bro....good luck!
I'm ordering on the 16th a poecilotheria regalis and if I'm really lucky I'll order a poecilotheria metallica... if the metallica is sold out I'll replace it with poecilotheria fasciata.. either route I'm placing an order for two pokies so I'm excited! but I'm mixing vermiculite and eco earth as well because it seems like the perfect combo.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Eco earth is kinda dry and dusty, I dont care for the consistency so I moved away from it some time ago. I do like potting soil, and jungle mix, which is fir peat but it does have bark in it. You can even get splinters running your fingers through it, which some folks may not like.. But it feels like and looks like forest floor to me, and mixes well with both clay and potting soil. I think the bits of bark seperate the soil and allow moisture to spread well, plus it looks good. Thats some fine looking dirt. :p

Latest posts