• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help picking a new tarantula

Stoffel

3 Year Member
Hey everyone I'm wanting to get a new T for my collection after my one pink toe past away.. I'm currently deciding between Cyriopagopus sp. hati hati and Monocentropus Balfouri? Any other suggestions would also be appreciated

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey everyone I'm wanting to get a new T for my collection after my one pink toe past away.. I'm currently deciding between Cyriopagopus sp. hati hati and Monocentropus Balfouri? Any other suggestions would also be appreciated
To be able to help, what do you currently own?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Out of what you listed, I would say M. balfouri simply because I hear those are good first OWs, as for other suggestions if you want an introduction to OW temperaments, then I highly suggest a P. cancerides (which is an NW) as they are fast and very defensive. One of those will likely prepare you for an OW species.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Out of what you listed, I would say M. balfouri simply because I hear those are good first OWs, as for other suggestions if you want an introduction to OW temperaments, then I highly suggest a P. cancerides (which is an NW) as they are fast and very defensive. One of those will likely prepare you for an OW species.
You can never go wrong with a p.cancerides or any phormictopus species at that, I wouldn't shy away from getting one of the ones you mentioned to start either if that's what you really want but phormictopus are always fun to keep and a great addition, they have all the attitude and size you could want in a T.

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Both sp of these T`s are great, but out of the 2 you mentioned I would go for the Balfouri purely because you will see more of this than the Hati hati , this one`s a bit of a pet hole.:):T:

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Thanks so much for your input guys, really appreciate it! It's probably one of the most exciting yet difficult things to do, picking out a new T.. I might just end up getting all of them
Your welcome, it can be difficult to make that decision but if you find yourself looking at it now, it will probably be in your collection next time around ;) I'd say if the money is there and that's what you want then heck with it, why not get both?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
M. Balfouri gets my vote (I would say that though I have 10 of them). Have a Hati Hati too. All are good webbers which I like to see but all are pet holes (mine anayway). H. Pulchripes are lovely and as @Shampain says, they do tend to be out a lot more. Feel free to browse through my albums in the signature to see the balfouri and pulchripes in there somewhere. My Hati Hati is still a sling so not got any decent pics of that one yet.
BTW.....if not already on your future wish list, a Genic is a MUST in my opinion.

Latest posts