• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Name changes

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
unless i'm mistaken the WSC is the one spot of truth so to speak for looking up all the genera/species and changes. It's "official" when it's posted there.
Well not quite. The WSC actually has no more authority than you or I do in deciding whether or not a paper is valid. It used to be that it listed all proposed changes then it started listing only those that it felt met the criteria of the ICZN so a lot of poor Schmidt papers were ignored (no bad thing IMO). Bizarrely now it seems they think that they can cherry pick changes from individual papers (not accepting the moving of L. violaceopes to Omothymus but accepting the other changes in the Smith & Jacobi being a prime example).
In the case of the Avicularia revision, it is a really solid, well written paper published in a peer reviewed scientific journal that has been years in prep, not some badly written rushed article published in a hobby journal.So there will be no doubts over the proposed changes.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well not quite. The WSC actually has no more authority than you or I do in deciding whether or not a paper is valid. It used to be that it listed all proposed changes then it started listing only those that it felt met the criteria of the ICZN so a lot of poor Schmidt papers were ignored (no bad thing IMO). Bizarrely now it seems they think that they can cherry pick changes from individual papers (not accepting the moving of L. violaceopes to Omothymus but accepting the other changes in the Smith & Jacobi being a prime example).
In the case of the Avicularia revision, it is a really solid, well written paper published in a peer reviewed scientific journal that has been years in prep, not some badly written rushed article published in a hobby journal.So there will be no doubts over the proposed changes.

So where is the best, most reliable source?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
"is a really solid, well written paper published in a peer reviewed scientific journal that has been years in prep".
:)

Yes, but if they are cherry picking where do we find the rest. There must be just one place we can go to find any and all reclassifications

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i've always used WSC, but won't be anymore.

Would be nice to have one spot of truth to find all these reclassification's. what about a sticky here for people to post the links in?

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The WSC IS
i've always used WSC, but won't be anymore.

Would be nice to have one spot of truth to find all these reclassification's. what about a sticky here for people to post the links in?
The WSC is still the best place online to keep up with name changes. Just be aware that they are not any kind of authority so you don't need to wait for their approval of a paper to start changing labels. Also pay attention to any notes they make on the names.
If we use the Lampropelma violaceopes situation I mentioned earlier we see the bottom entry on L. violaceopes on their page that they say - "Omothymus violaceopes Smith & Jacobi, 2015: 29 (T of f to Omothymus not followed here - not sufficiently justified, m probably misidentified Omothymus schioedtei)." Yet the other changes proposed in that paper such as the transfer of the Haplopelma species to Cyriopagopus and the transfer of the former Cyriopagopus species to Omothymus have been followed. This you can't do. Either the paper meets the requirements of the ICZN and you accept all the proposed changes until someone proves otherwise in another peer reviewed paper or it doesn't meet the criteria and you ignore it completely. So in this case you would ignore the WSC and call it Omothymus violaceopes (or ignore the Smith and Jacobi paper and call it Lampropelma violaceopes as well as ignoring the changes to Haplopelma and Cyriopagopus).