• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Tarantula Corner (The Tarantulas I have in my Collection)

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pamphobeteus sp hexa

uploadfromtaptalk1429903730367.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1429903960291.png

Thivo

3 Year Member
Is T. Apophysis sling are really huge compare to other slings with same age? Or it depends on how much they fed?

Thivo

3 Year Member
Hello
These ones are 3rd instar,and already over 5cm DLS so much larger than anything I've seen.
Wow! As a beginner, I am starting to think now if I should get one... 'Coz what I know, Theraphosa's are one of the oldest specie of T's and it really grow bigger... The largest specie of T's... And I am afraid that I cannot take care of it once it's mature...

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wow! As a beginner, I am starting to think now if I should get one... 'Coz what I know, Theraphosa's are one of the oldest specie of T's and it really grow bigger... The largest specie of T's... And I am afraid that I cannot take care of it once it's mature...
Hello
Only problem with Theraphosa blondi and apophysis is,they need more care than say a Theraphosa stirmi is the easiest to take care of in the genus. Compared to other genera,I'd rank Theraphosa care more intense than any other since they need very good ventilation water and a bit of a misted substrate. The good ventilation thus doesn't allow the sub to get mold,and keep your Theraphosa happy I also and a lot of sub so it can dig if need be.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just saw your A.amazonica pic. Absolutely gorgeous. Probably my favorite Avic species by far. I really hope mine is female. How big is yours?

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Hello
The Pamphobeteus sp hexa is something totally different,not like other pamphos color wise etc.
Martin, I've been putting off getting Pamps to save up for some Aussie species I've been wanting to add. Seeing your P. sp hexa is making me wanting to reconsider my decision. [emoji16] Awesome T!!

DewDrop

3 Year Member
I have stopped at two. I am happy with the A. Avic and G. Rosea. I couldn't imagine having more than maybe three or four. Two is plenty for me. I do have a bookshelf I could display maybe three or four on and it would look great, but I don't know of any that are as sweet as the A. Avic and G. Rosea. The G. Rosea is just enough feisty for me for the entertainment when she feeds. Two and there is plenty of room for books, so the information about tarantulas is what draws attention of any visitors who may be so inclined to want a Tarantula and it may help guests refrain from trying to open the habitat. I do have a big family of in laws, with a bunch of kids so I cannot just go and collect spiders in amounts or kinds that anyone could potentially get bitten by or get injured by a hair. We have already had one full grown adult in law open a habitat just to make sure the spider was a nice spider. Priceless. Besides reading about the spiders is what is the most fun about them. Having a specimen for reference is great. THAT is what leads to more, the thirst for knowledge. The tarantulas can live a long time and when you have a family who is going to want a keepsake, if something should happen, if you have more Tarantulas than your immediate family can take care of, where do you think they are going to end up? Personally most of my in laws do not like spiders, they are terrified of them. Besides anything that could hurt them I wouldn't want them to try and get a hold of and you know how family is. That is what keeps my collection in check. Knowing that if we get a house full of guests someone is going to potentially get in a habitat. A collection cannot tend to itself and if you have to sell them all off in the event you fall ill because you cannot pass them down that might be heck on you. At two I know, confidently they can be taken care of. Even at a collection of ten if I ever decide to max out the collection and get that many, I know that can be taken care of and even passed down depending on type. But any more than two just seems like it would be such a burden on those who may have to care for them in the event I were to fall ill. Something that can live twenty five years just deserves to be put in a will and passed on. I am thirty six, even though there is a low, very low chance the spider will out live me, I am attached to it enough that I care about it's welfare even if. I think a collection could be amazing to decorate with around the house at about ten and look fabulous. But in an apartment any more than a few is always going to be pushing it even if you live alone and there is nothing that says in the lease that you cannot have a terrarium, because in an apartment, you risk escapes and neighbors freaking out. Typically with a lease if it gets out of a cage it requires a pet deposit. Tarantulas other inverts and fish are the only pets I know of that you can have without having to fret on a pet deposit. It's the feeders you have to be real careful with to make sure they do not establish a colony of their own in the building. Just saying. But anyway, yeah it is a nice collection and great photography.

DewDrop

3 Year Member
Hello
Only problem with Theraphosa blondi and apophysis is,they need more care than say a Theraphosa stirmi is the easiest to take care of in the genus. Compared to other genera,I'd rank Theraphosa care more intense than any other since they need very good ventilation water and a bit of a misted substrate. The good ventilation thus doesn't allow the sub to get mold,and keep your Theraphosa happy I also and a lot of sub so it can dig if need be.

The theraphosa blondi is getting to be threatened in the wild. Anything even the least bit threatened I won't consider. But the Goliath Birdeater really is such a wonderful spider. There is some caution to be noted with it's venom and very small children. From what I understand they have become a rare find for hobbyists because of their adaptation to captivity doesn't encourage them to populate well in captivity. It is a difficult spider to refuse to consider as big and amazing as they are. Deep down though, I would enjoy having one as a pet. Just my conscious won't allow me to do so.

Latest posts