• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

my pulchripes turned to a spawn from hell. :(

paolo escoto

3 Year Member
so my G. pulchripes' skin hardened a few days ago (from a molt). i fed him three B. lateralis roaches when he first came out from his hide then fed him 1 every day to fatten him a bit. but he still seems hungry. when i first got him he was peaceful calm and docile. i handle him every day or two. but now. everytime i check if he's in a good/bad mood. he bites everything i put near him. (pencil, paint brush, forceps) wth happened to him. :(

Matic

3 Year Member
Tarantulas are not animals for handling, that's where you made a mistake. If you want animal for handling buy a cat or a dog, tarantulas are only for watching through the glass.
You should rode something about tarantulas before you bought one. That is an absolutely normal behavior of an tarantula.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantulas are not animals for handling, that's where you made a mistake. If you want animal for handling buy a cat or a dog, tarantulas are only for watching through the glass.
You should rode something about tarantulas before you bought one. That is an absolutely normal behavior of an tarantula.

Although I agree that tarantulas are a look no touch animal, that was a little harsh. There are many responsible, well informed keepers, that choose to handle their tarantulas occasionally without incident. And honestly, with all the mis-information out there, saying "you should have read something before buying one" is just rediculous. Paolo has done nothing wrong and did not deserve that response.

Matic

3 Year Member
If you care for tarantula like as a pet toy, it is possible to say that handling tarantulas every 3-4-5 days is absolutely normal thing.
The fact that tarantula is calm on your hand, does not mean that she like's to be on your hand, she is just calm because she is not on her own territory, she is in fear and she wait everything to calm down too, to go to find some place to hide and keep her life going. Tarantulas does not have that much developed nervous system, they don't have brain like dog, cat, mouse, gecko and they can't be learn to something, in this case i mean on handling every day-two-three-four. Every handling is a big stress for your tarantula and if you think that she feels grate on your hand, u were wrong :)

Tgirl1010

3 Year Member
Paolo escoto, once tarantulas start eating after a molt, they seem to starved. Keep feeding and give it a couple months. It may chill a bit. Right now it probably has nothing but food on the brain :) Have you posted post molt pictures? I'd love to see her new suit :)

Atx13

3 Year Member
No need to be a ****... If he enjoys handling Ts, there is NOTHING wrong with doing so... I dont think handling Ts is a good idea, but if someone enjoys it, and theyre taking the proper caution in doing so, they can handle all they want.
One of my biggest problems with this hobby is the elitist mind set people get... All being an asshole towards a new hobbyist is going to achieve is making him not want to explore an awesome hobby further.

Paolo,
Don't allow the negativity of one person keep you from posting here, most of us on TF are here to help, no matter what questions or concerns you may have! I look forward to seeing updated moult pics of your G.pulchripes!
And to address your concern for the topic, sadly, even "docile" Ts can be defensive/aggressive, your little one might settle back down after you fatten it back up some, or after another moult.. Read its body language and attitude before trying to interact with him :).

Matic

3 Year Member
I see no reason to insult. If paolo is interested in this hobby he would not give up just like that. Im just tired of the same questions, all you wanna ask you can find by reading the forum. I guess that's normal before you get any animal, first read something about it. Thats all, no more comments from me on this thread. Paolo sorry if i offended you.

paolo escoto

3 Year Member
I see no reason to insult. If paolo is interested in this hobby he would not give up just like that. Im just tired of the same questions, all you wanna ask you can find by reading the forum. I guess that's normal before you get any animal, first read something about it. Thats all, no more comments from me on this thread. Paolo sorry if i offended you.
i didn't say i would give up on the hobby. i said i MIGHT not post threads about my T's anymore.

Atx13

3 Year Member
Sadly, you will get the same 4 questions 100 times on a forum. And if your tired of the same questions over and over, don't reply... :)

paolo escoto

3 Year Member
and why would i give up taking care of my T's so easily? i'm just 17 so i argued/talked alot about tarantula's trying to convince the people in our house that they're harmless if properly kept. also i love taking care of animals. i had three pairs of pidgeons and reproduced to 30 (also got a lot of hate from the people in our house) that i had to give away because i moved to my grandma's house, and there we had 27 dogs. i own the three and they're all in my room so i had to do a lot of maintenance like cleaning my room everyday which is so tiring but it makes me happy seeing that my pets are happy as well.

paolo escoto

3 Year Member
Paolo escoto, once tarantulas start eating after a molt, they seem to starved. Keep feeding and give it a couple months. It may chill a bit. Right now it probably has nothing but food on the brain :) Have you posted post molt pictures? I'd love to see her new suit :)
here's a pic of him beside his old skin. :D
IMG_0711.JPG

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
wow. i feel really offended. might not post anything here anymore. sorry for keeping T's.

Give it a couple days, your tarantulas behavior might turn back to normal.

But don't quit posting here because one douchy comment gets you down. There are a lot of nice helpful people here, this is probably one of the best forums I've been on.
I'm sure that the person with the dull comment has held or attempted to hold a Tarantula at one point. I know I have, doesn't mean it's wrong. Keep on truckin!

ShellsnMargarita

3 Year Member
Beautiful T! Molts are the neatest thing about T's, in my opinion. Mine just molted this week. First time with me. I'll have to see if her behavior changes at all. I didn't even think of that, honestly, though it makes sense. Good luck with your little guy, Paolo!

Latest posts