• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My older guy.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As most of you know we are foster failures, (which is why we don't do rescue type things anymore) anyways,
My personal pup, Copa, chihuahua mix and my heart dog has cancer. I'm not going to go the chemo route with him, as it's prohibitively expensive and he has other issues. (We've been there before and it just prolongs the inevitable for a short while in most cases so we are just going to keep him comfortable.)
Regardless tho, it brought to mind this passage and I wanted to share it.

Dogs lives are short, too short, but you know that going in. You know the pain is coming, you're going to lose a dog, and there's going to be great anguish, so you live fully in the moment with her, never fail to share her joy or delight in her innocence, because you can't support the illusion that a dog can be your lifelong companion. There's such beauty in the hard honesty of that, in accepting and giving love while always aware that it comes with an unbearable price. Maybe loving dogs is a way we do penance for all the other illusions we allow ourselves and the mistakes we make because of those illusions.
Dean Koontz, The Darkest Evening of the Year

IMG_2271.JPG

Last edited:

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm so sorry to hear about Copa, you'll do what's best for him and I hope he'll live out his days with you as comfortable as possible.

Beautiful passage, too, it brought tears to my eyes.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
<3
Thanks hun, he's in no pain at the moment and I won't let him suffer in any way. We did months of chemo with our lab/dane then she crashed hard. I won't let him go through that.