• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My next pet

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So here we go again :)

My son and I have discussed owning snakes, and scorpions, and numerous other pets (frogs, mantids, various lizards, etc.) to go with our White Monster (my Morkie pup) and our tarantula collection.

We've finally found a pet that we both agree on (that was the hardest part) and that will survive in our environment without a lot of time spent on maintenance. Since i work 2 jobs and he's at school, we needed something low maintenance that didn't require a lot of time in setup and daily support to keep it alive and happy.

And that is the Leopard Gecko :D

So then we had to choose which morph. After weeks of debate and going back and forth we've decided on either the normal morph or the tangerine morph. And here's where we're stuck ;) It will probably come down to which is available when we can make the order.

i like the coloring on the normal myself, my son is sold on the tangerine. I also like the Mack and the snow/blizzard morphs. Which would you choose?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
sweet. i'll bookmark his site. still need to get the enclosure stuff before i order the leo. already have a tank and heat pad, just need the thermostat, bedding, hides etc.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Since y'all are talking about lizards, wheres a good place to get a blue tongued skink, preferably well started but not an adult? Lllreptile? I like the northern ones, which I understand are rather pricey :(

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Since y'all are talking about lizards, wheres a good place to get a blue tongued skink, preferably well started but not an adult? Lllreptile? I like the northern ones, which I understand are rather pricey :(
I've read really good reviews about Lll reptile, that's where I'm ordering my gecko from in a few weeks. Just got his enclosure all set up except I forgot to order a thermostat, so that should be here Tuesday then if the temps hold right with it I'll order the gecko next payday. Right now is the best time to order geckos :D the new hatching should be grown enough to ship.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
thermostat arrived Tuesday and is keeping the hot side between 91 and 93. I have the max set for 93 and it drops down to 90.5 ish before heading back up again, so that should be sufficient. It hears up fairly quickly to, 93.4 is the highest I've seen it get within 2 or 3 minutes.

Also, one of the people I wad talking to on a gecko forum suggested big Apple herp to purchase from. And I found the one I wanted there.

http://www.bigappleherp.com/Mack-Snow-Leopard-Geckos-Captive-Bred-Babies?sc=27&category=13672

So we'll have a new pet next payday :D

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So Friday I ordered the baby snow mack morph :D got an email friday afternoon from Big Apple Herp saying my state requires a vet checkup and certificate for shipping reptiles. So I had to add $20 for that to the order. Think it's cool my backwards state requires that ;) And just now i got an email from them saying the leo will ship today, should be here whenever FedEx delivers to my location, so about 11am :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
He arrived today :D little guy (or girl?) treated us with a scream when we unboxed him and relased him into his new home. I forgot the babies did that :D so cute!!
20170628_134012.jpg

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Where did you order yours from?
bigappleherp.com excellent service, communication through the whole order process. They even called FedEx when the little guy hadn't gotten here by noon and told them to get their head out of their arse (paraphrased). I'd definitely order from there again. Prices are probably the best in the few different vendors i had suggested to me from a gecko forum.

Congrats! Lovely colours! :)
I was hoping for more black, so there was more contrast but he does have a nice pattern ;)

We named him Frye, like small fry :D My son picked it out, favorite character from the Adult Swim cartoon Futurama. He ate 2 lats last night, I was expecting him not to be hungry after the 2500 mile trip to here. Tried dubia first but they run along hte repticarpet and then play dead when he nudged them with his chin, so he'd leave them alone. now i have to buy more lats

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
bigappleherp.com excellent service, communication through the whole order process. They even called FedEx when the little guy hadn't gotten here by noon and told them to get their head out of their arse (paraphrased). I'd definitely order from there again. Prices are probably the best in the few different vendors i had suggested to me from a gecko forum.

I was hoping for more black, so there was more contrast but he does have a nice pattern ;)

We named him Frye, like small fry :D My son picked it out, favorite character from the Adult Swim cartoon Futurama. He ate 2 lats last night, I was expecting him not to be hungry after the 2500 mile trip to here. Tried dubia first but they run along hte repticarpet and then play dead when he nudged them with his chin, so he'd leave them alone. now i have to buy more lats
Oh nice! Ive heard of them from their youtube. But never looked in to them for animals. Great to hear they do good and care.
The dubias play dead on my beardie he will still eat them lol.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Very nice addition, leos are the reason I started collecting exotics. That's the only reptile my mom would let us keep as kids at first, I've always had atleast one in my collection. They're very easy to care for and like Ts a lot of fun to raise, the way the colors and patterns change as they grow is stunning. Congrats and enjoy.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Had "Frye" for 2 weeks now (i call him Small Fry to get a reaction from my son ;)). Started putting my hand in his cage to get him used to me, only got bit once so far ;) I think that's cause i didn't feed him first and he's learned already that when we step up to his cage in the evening it will rain bugs :D

Still seems a bit skittish but last night he didn't run away from my hand like he had been. Progress!

Been feeding him 2 medium lats every night. I ordered a 4 part "Sampler Pack" feeder kit for him. It's got 100 mealworms, but they're tiny, so i gave him 6 or 8. Then I read mealworms weren't as good a feeder for leos as everyone says, they've been found to cause impactions if overfed.

Part 2 of the sampler pack was Phoenix worms, but they're too small it would take 20 or so for a meal, so they've been tossed, i don't have anything that needs that small of a feeder.

Part 3 of this food kit was 20 or so hornworms. Always thought they were green, but these came blue. Then i read that they don't turn green unless they're eating tomato or tobacco leaves, something in the leaves gives them a yellow pigment and with their natural blue color it makes them green :) So these are safe to feed. Think i'll try the biggest ones with Savage this weekend. She can use a treat :D

Part 4 of the feeder kit was 500 Micro (.5") super worms. Looks like these are more about 1 to 1.5" though. Figure 2 of these will be a good size meal for Frye, can feed off the rest to the T's so they don't pupate.

Not a bad deal for 18 bucks plus shipping - http://www.rainbowmealworms.net/baby-leopard-gecko-sampler-pack/

IamKrush

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Had "Frye" for 2 weeks now (i call him Small Fry to get a reaction from my son ;)). Started putting my hand in his cage to get him used to me, only got bit once so far ;) I think that's cause i didn't feed him first and he's learned already that when we step up to his cage in the evening it will rain bugs :D

Still seems a bit skittish but last night he didn't run away from my hand like he had been. Progress!

Been feeding him 2 medium lats every night. I ordered a 4 part "Sampler Pack" feeder kit for him. It's got 100 mealworms, but they're tiny, so i gave him 6 or 8. Then I read mealworms weren't as good a feeder for leos as everyone says, they've been found to cause impactions if overfed.

Part 2 of the sampler pack was Phoenix worms, but they're too small it would take 20 or so for a meal, so they've been tossed, i don't have anything that needs that small of a feeder.

Part 3 of this food kit was 20 or so hornworms. Always thought they were green, but these came blue. Then i read that they don't turn green unless they're eating tomato or tobacco leaves, something in the leaves gives them a yellow pigment and with their natural blue color it makes them green :) So these are safe to feed. Think i'll try the biggest ones with Savage this weekend. She can use a treat :D

Part 4 of the feeder kit was 500 Micro (.5") super worms. Looks like these are more about 1 to 1.5" though. Figure 2 of these will be a good size meal for Frye, can feed off the rest to the T's so they don't pupate.

Not a bad deal for 18 bucks plus shipping - http://www.rainbowmealworms.net/baby-leopard-gecko-sampler-pack/
Great to hear he is doing well. Also a bonus to hear rainbowmeal worms is good. If you have a compost the Phoenix worms would help it break down faster.

Kole G

3 Year Member
I own 2 females and one male I keep in a 65 gallon. a female mack snow blizzard, a female tangerine tornado, and a male raptor. Great pets!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I own 2 females and one male I keep in a 65 gallon. a female mack snow blizzard, a female tangerine tornado, and a male raptor. Great pets!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Nice! mine just started molting last night. Came home to find the white and grey and blacks have blurred into almost a dirty brown. Misted his moist hide extra well this morning, have to do it again when i get home from work i'm sure. It's been really really hot and dry lately.

Latest posts