• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Jerusalem Crickets, Stenopelmatus sp.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Thanks everyone, unfortunately it seems all the eggs from the first batch have died, and some of the ones in the second batch are molding over too. They seem to mold even faster under dryer conditions BTW. :( I don't think that I'll be getting any nymphs, what a bummer...

Evanthomas

3 Year Member
Thanks everyone, unfortunately it seems all the eggs from the first batch have died, and some of the ones in the second batch are molding over too. They seem to mold even faster under dryer conditions BTW. :( I don't think that I'll be getting any nymphs, what a bummer...

We live and we learn, if I ever end up with any I'll definitely be referencing this and getting in touch with you before attempting any breeding.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
We live and we learn, if I ever end up with any I'll definitely be referencing this and getting in touch with you before attempting any breeding.

Indeed, at least now I have more experience with keeping them, and know how to mate them properly, just wish I could figure out why the eggs keep molding over. Guess that's a mystery to be solved another day.

Thanks, I'm flattered, if you ever try breeding them be sure to keep us posted! :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Indeed, at least now I have more experience with keeping them, and know how to mate them properly, just wish I could figure out why the eggs keep molding over. Guess that's a mystery to be solved another day.

Thanks, I'm flattered, if you ever try breeding them be sure to keep us posted! :)
You always struck me as a smart guy Dude. Figure it out, and sell me some alien babies :) You realize that forunners are pioneers, and you gotta try and try again..ok thats all the sage advice vodka has given me.:) Peace!

Pasodama

3 Year Member
From what I have read, on Jerusalem crickets, the females lay their eggs in a "nest" that is a few inches underground.
In the wild, eggs are laid in Spring and hatch in fall (during the rainy period).
I don't really know, for sure, but, if your JC eggs were laid on top of the substrate, maybe that could have been a problem.
Just a thought.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
You always struck me as a smart guy Dude. Figure it out, and sell me some alien babies :) You realize that forunners are pioneers, and you gotta try and try again..ok thats all the sage advice vodka has given me.:) Peace!

Thanks man, I'm sure I'll get more one day, and I'll definitely be more prepared when it comes to breeding them next time! ;)

From what I have read, on Jerusalem crickets, the females lay their eggs in a "nest" that is a few inches underground.
In the wild, eggs are laid in Spring and hatch in fall (during the rainy period).
I don't really know, for sure, but, if your JC eggs were laid on top of the substrate, maybe that could have been a problem.
Just a thought.

The whole "nest" thing seems to be a myth, apparently they just lay them in a clutch close together in the substrate, not even in a chamber, and abandon them, which is what mine did BTW. I took them out and buried most of them in their own deli cups, but they all molded over for some reason, and the few that I left unburied also molded over... :(

Also, hatch time all depends on where the species come from, in some species the eggs need a long diapause like you said, but species from southern CA, where mine came from, don't have an egg diapause and eggs should hatch in about a month.

Latest posts