• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Jerusalem Crickets, Stenopelmatus sp.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, I poked its butt in an attempt to move it around, which I do with all my JCs, and he went berserk and turned around and latched onto me. It scared the sh*t out of me, never had one of these react in that way. For now on no more touching, that's for sure!
Ok, so now we know they latch on to fingers like pit bulls. That's nice to know. Lmao, I'm laughing with you Dude :D Not at you :)

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Well, most of these guys are still going strong, though one of them (Mangle), may pass away very soon. Jiminy molted into an adult male, and Swirl just reached maturity a few days ago, so I now have an adult pair! :D I have placed the male's cage within the female's new enclosure to get them more familiarized with each other, (not sure if that makes any sense but I'm doing it anyway), and once the female plumps up a bit I will attempt to mate them, which I may or may not film.

Here are some pictures of Swirl as an adult:
JC%252326.JPG

JC%252327.JPG

JC%252328.JPG

Will let you all know what ends up happening when I mate them, hopefully it will end with both of them alive, or atleast with the female alive...

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
good luck

Thanks! :)

Hope they breed and both survive. Also got fingers crossed that she passes off that patterning.

Me too! That would be pretty cool if she could pass on that deformity, though chances are that even if it's not a heritable trait, some of her offspring may have that deformity, seems pretty common in Jerusalem crickets.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Well, I put my mature male an female in with each other, and it was a surprisingly uneventful experience. They just ran away from each other whenever they touched. I left them in with each other for three days, and I removed the male yesterday, both he and the female were unharmed. Don't know if they mated with each other when I wasn't looking, I sure hope so. Will try re-introducing him to her next week.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Silly swirl, give her some candy or something :(

I'm just happy they didn't kill each other, which was what I was expecting to happen. They very well could have mated in the time they were together, I only checked on them once. If they didn't hopefully they will next week when I put the male in her cage again.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Well, the male I "mated" my female with was not even mature, he molted to maturity this week. Will attempt to mate him with her again once he fattens up and hopefully this time he will impregnate her!

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Here are some pictures of my big male, showcasing the two small black hooks in between his cerci that are only present in mature male Jerusalem crickets.

Here's Jiminy:
Jiminy%25231.JPG

Jiminy%25232.JPG

Jiminy%25233.JPG

Genital hooks:
Jiminy%25235.JPG

Jiminy%25236.JPG

I paired him up with Swirl, and I also paired Tiny up with Sam, both of which also matured recently. Fingers crossed they'll mate successfully and that the males won't get eaten, as I have some more females that are mature and in need of some lovin'. :D

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
"Gulp", Well, Swirl ate Jiminy, leaving very little behind. :confused: She had been holed up in a burrow in her cage for the whole week they were together, apparently she came out a couple days ago lol. I can only hope that Jim got to mate with her before she ate him.

I removed Tiny from Sam's enclosure after I saw that, those two have interacted more with each other, so hopefully they have mated. I will try pairing him with another female soon.