• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My inverts (mostly tarantulas)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
:D C gracilis babies. They eat and eat and eat..spider slings do not eat like this..

WP_20160525_23_21_25_Pro.jpg

WP_20160525_23_22_16_Pro.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Status update :) I have at least 17 baby gracilis, my collection looks healthy, roach and scorp colonies are doing great. I'm breeding my Lp, my A anax, and tomorrow night pairing up my male Amblypygid with my two females over a two night period. Phormictopus sp green female molted and is once again eating like a pig. And I have roaches coming tomorrow or the next day, Red goblins and more Kenyans, plus another 500 lateralis as a final boost for my colony. I should never have to buy them again:) I only started with 250, but let me tell you, scorplings and slings, if you have a bunch, will decimate all the nymphs in your colony very quickly. I feed babies when they'll eat, and they like to eat..If lats didn't breed so well, my small colony would have been gone long ago. In my book, theres no better feeder for inverts. By the way, the 250 lat colony has been maintaining for several months. They were almost enough to feed my juvies, slings,scorplings,and Amblypygi and still multiply and outgrow the demand. Almost. I found that pretty impressive. I'm down to a hundred now, and the nymphs are not quite so numerous, so its obviously in need of a boost. Ramble over :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
WP_20160527_17_34_14_Pro.jpg

The gorgeous Centruroides margaritatus, I have five of these..look at that size gain, this one meal after the molt..Buthidae, baby :D One more molt from all of them and they'll be colonized together. All of my Centruroides sp are doing well together, including two groups of babies. I have margaritatus, many gracilis, 4 local vitattus and growing, but only one sculpturatus, which I intend to remedy soon. I also need some hentzi, and the never seen bicolor..
sculpturatus..i think it got a name change, but I really like these pale ones
WP_20160526_21_29_17_Pro.jpg

Edit, never mind, there was no name change. I read an old paper that confused me.

Last edited:

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just ordered 5 sculpturatus and 4 baby hentzi from KTBG. :D You know what's absolutely awesome? Our local scorpions are the funnest and most interesting ones to keep. The big black ones are nice..but you dont see them chase down prey across half the enclosure, stinging the whole way :D

Aint

3 Year Member
Wow! Gorgeous Amblypygid (tailless whip scorpion). I was so tempted to get one. Just didn't feel comfortable ordering online, not having experience with mail order pets. Where'd you get yours? It'll be a while before I get another pet. Wanna get settled in with my new T first.

I see you have a lot of Ts. Just got one myself after not having one in a long time. I also see you like the vivarium set ups. Me, too. In general, how long are your Ts living? It depends on so many different things, for sure. Just looking for an in general answer.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wow! Gorgeous Amblypygid (tailless whip scorpion). I was so tempted to get one. Just didn't feel comfortable ordering online, not having experience with mail order pets. Where'd you get yours? It'll be a while before I get another pet. Wanna get settled in with my new T first.

I see you have a lot of Ts. Just got one myself after not having one in a long time. I also see you like the vivarium set ups. Me, too. In general, how long are your Ts living? It depends on so many different things, for sure. Just looking for an in general answer.
Thanks:) I got mine from reptilepetsdirect, who have a store north of San Antonio, TX. They had a large brood of babies too, but this was months ago. I actually have only had a few mature male spiders mature and die, the rest are anywhere from 4 months to six years, in my care. Hopefully they all live a long time :) @Prudance sorry, I thought I posted a reply, that's been happening alot..I recommend any US Centruroides sp. They are the most interesting in my opinion.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok, some bad news. Both of my obts hooked out and died. I haven't seen them in months, so I dug them both up. My colony of 6 3i C gracilis is down to two 4i. I put two C vittatus ofthe same size in with them, they seem to be ok together. This means when my new batch start doing the same, ill have to separate them into individual enclosures untill adulthood. The vittatus/gracillis 4i are a bit of an experiment. Also, my other Rh pintoi died. I wont be buying slings of that sp again. Its looking like only adults are safe in colonies. I guess freshly molted delicacies are hard for scorpions to pass up, well fed or not. So I have several tiny enclosures to get set up...

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh damn...so sorry Mass :(
To be honest, I wont miss the obts. Hard to get attached to ones you never see..The group of six gracilis is what got me. They were doing well, all fat and overfed..but still munched molting siblings..so, the twenty new ones will be split up soon. I'm leaving two gracilis with two vittatus, all the same sized subadults. My gracilis adults and sculpturatus adults are doing fine in colonies, as are the adult vittatus. One of my female vittatus has something on her back :) she's separated already, pics to follow :) She's so little too...babies makin babies..shameful hussy :D

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh, and for any new scorpion keepers, get a black light flashlight. It makes locating everyone much easier in bark and plant filled enclosures. Also, if you're hunting scorpions at night, it's invaluable. It makes finding them ridiculously easy:)

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
OK, some bad news. Both of my OBTs hooked out and died. I haven't seen them in months, so I dug them both up. My colony of 6 3i C.gracilis is down to two 4i. I put two C.vittatus of the same size in with them, they seem to be OK together. This means when my new batch start doing the same, ill have to separate them into individual enclosures until adulthood. The vittatus/gracillis 4i are a bit of an experiment. Also, my other Rh pintoi died. I wont be buying slings of that sp again. Its looking like only adults are safe in colonies. I guess freshly molted delicacies are hard for scorpions to pass up, well fed or not. So I have several tiny enclosures to get set up...

Oh, yikes, really sorry to hear all that man. :( Well now I know if I ever get Centruroides slings, keep them separate...

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh, yikes, really sorry to hear all that man. :( Well now I know if I ever get Centruroides slings, keep them separate...
Until adulthood, anyway. I've heard it several times from veteran keepers, but as someone reminded me recently, I have to find out the hard way. I'm stubborn that way. Just like leaving the 4i together..I need to see if the behavior continues as they grow.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Until adulthood, anyway. I've heard it several times from veteran keepers, but as someone reminded me recently, I have to find out the hard way. I'm stubborn that way. Just like leaving the 4i together..I need to see if the behavior continues as they grow.

Yeah, as adults they should be fine. Hopefully your 4i do OK together, let us know how they do!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Also, just added 4 more vittatus I caught at work tonight..ill have to get a proper count when I rehouse. Those black light flashlights are sweet :) I wonder if there's any other sp of scorpions in my area..all I've ever seen are vittatus.

Latest posts