• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Introduction

Trufflehunter

3 Year Member
My name is Jerry and I am from south Louisiana. I am an Environmental driller for a private firm that does work with the EPA and various state Environmental agencies. In my younger days I had quite the extensive reptile collection and was very partial to Boas and Pythons. Did a fair amount of breeding projects on my own and in conjunction with other local hobbyists. Really enjoyed the comradarie and the knowledge gained from all the experiences. When I got married my wife had asked me that once we had kiddos would I get rid of them. Being the nice gentleman I am, I agreed as these big creatures and small babies just don't mix. I wouldn't be able to deal with that situation so I thought best to just avoid it altogether. I gave most of my collection to people that I trusted and sold off the rest (bought a new truck tho). Now fast forward 20ish years. My wife catches me looking at kingsnake.com prorusing the animals as i have always loved them. I'm looking at some Versicolors and SHE starts drooling. So I start telling her what i know of them. She agrees that it would be ok to start a small collection[emoji6] since our kids are a lot older now . So here I am introducing my self to the tarantula community and the wealth of information to be had here. I havent picked my T's yet but have narrowed it down to Versicolors, GBB, or some of the dwarf species. I'm thinking one of each should be a good start.

Sorry for the book.

Cheers,

Jerry

Sent from my SM-N930V using Tapatalk

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Jerry, welcome to the hobby. I too used to keep and breed snakes but just have one Royal python now. You'll soon find that your collection of Ts will grow rapidly, they're very addictive:).

Trufflehunter

3 Year Member
I'm hoping it is, i'm already finding so many of the species fascinating. Both my kids and wife are excited which makes it even better.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's always good when the rest of the family are enthusiastic too. I'm sure we'll all be looking forward to lots of photos when you get them.

This is one of my favourite dwarf Ts, Davus pentaloris, just 2" leg span
DSCF6966 (3).JPG

Trufflehunter

3 Year Member
That's a beauty. I am taking a hard look at the Oligoxystre diamantinensis / Brazilian Rainbow Dwarf T's. Definitely set on getting a Versicolor for my office. Boss said it was cool as long as I could lock my enclosure.

Trufflehunter

3 Year Member
I do have a question from you guys. I've done a fair amount of research involving purchasing online and have found what appears to be the majority going to 4-5 of the same popular breeders. My question is are there some of the lesser known people I should be looking at too?

Here in the US of course and I much prefer CB when possible. Thanks

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's a beauty. I am taking a hard look at the Oligoxystre diamantinensis / Brazilian Rainbow Dwarf T's. Definitely set on getting a Versicolor for my office. Boss said it was cool as long as I could lock my enclosure.

Oligoxystre diamantinensis is another lovely T but it has been reclassified as Dolichothele diamantinensis so you could find it listed as either.

ManlyMan7

3 Year Member
Hi there and welcome.

I agree with what others have said about small collection.

But I can't figure out why you would want a GBB

IMG_6599a Tiglath.jpg

Or an Avic versicolor

Tekeyleth closeupsm.jpg

Or even a dwarf spider (like this Cyriocosmus ritae)

Behemoth sm.jpg

Such dull and boring tarantulas.

[emoji13]

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

ManlyMan7

3 Year Member
Yeah, this girl was an amazing one. Unfortunately, she passed way a year and a half ago.

I too am looking to replace my girl.

Latest posts