• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My first T and first moult in my care :D

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
As i posted in the intro thread. I bought my first T (G.Pulchripes) and around 4 weeks after having her, she moulted. I took a few shots of her during this process but didn't invade her too much because of the delicate process she was going through (I say she as a general reference as I don't yet know the sex).
She was 1.5cm/0.5" when she moulted so still only a little baby.
_IGP2881.JPG
_IGP2887.JPG
_IGP2906.JPG
_IGP2936.JPG

20479780_1898804970374726_7928574635779174409_n.jpg

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
This girl has been nothing but trouble from day one. Here's a little history on her:
Bought her mid June '17
Ate 3 times in the first week, refused for the next 4 weeks.
Moulted end of July, refused feed for the next 4 weeks.
Started taking prey for the next 7 weeks with a few refusals here and there.
Started refusing again beginning of Nov and has not eaten since.

The annoying thing she has decided to do now is bury herself. She first did this mid Nov, resurfaced a week later for around an hour just to lay silk around the hole she came out of, then proceeded to go straight back in and block it up again. I had to move her to a shallow enclosure as she was in a tall one will loads of substrate to reduce falling height as I didn't have a shallow one at the time, I had to unearth her and move her and she just went right ahead and buried herself again and has been now, untouched and undisturbed since the beginning of December (minus lid off once a week to spray down for moisture).
I know she is practically moulting and has been for a long time but she just refuses to do it. Has an absolutely huge abdomen and the top of her carapace is domed up and looks like its about to pop off. so she is due.

Anybody else had this refusal to moult and burying behaviour with their Pulchripes?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Burying itself is normal...its the Ts way of saying "stay out". Sounds like it ate too much too fast...this sometimes creates long periods of fasting. Digging her up could cause additional stress also. Just make sure you have a water dish full of water all the time and over flow it once a week. Spraying is a waste of time...it evaporates too fast. My motto has always been "The spider knows best". Patience is what this hobby teaches us. I've had Ts bury themselves for almost a year...come out for a couple days and go back in their burrows for another couple months.

Cody-Myles

3 Year Member
2f0a4e06d022ff3ee3961dd8fd50cb82.jpg

This is what she looked like the last time I saw her.
Yeah I know she wants to be left alone. So you reckon she could potentially stay hidden and not moult for a long time?. She's still a sling so she doesn't have a water dish but I will find something small and shallow enough for her :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Slings still need a water dish....spiders float. A spider drowning is a myth. Something shallow like a water bottle cap will work...I've seen people use small legos too. I just had a sling Avic hide inside its web burrow for 3 months. Your sling looks great...ready to pop! Just give her some time...everything will be alright.

Latest posts