• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My first OW

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well....i did it got my first OW. lol not gonna lie im a bit nervous about it but im guessing that will keep me cautious. i picked up an OBT today. youll never guess where...PETCO! they are selling CB slings now on a test to see how fast they go. they had a couple different species there. 20 bucks for which ever u wanted. id get a pic but holy crap r these guys fast! he was out of the little container and under the cork bark in his new one before i could take a pic.

...went in to buy some enclosures for roaches im getting soon and left with this little guy. lol my wife said to say thanks @MassExodus !!!! lmao

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well....i did it got my first OW. lol not gonna lie im a bit nervous about it but im guessing that will keep me cautious. i picked up an OBT today. youll never guess where...PETCO! they are selling CB slings now on a test to see how fast they go. they had a couple different species there. 20 bucks for which ever u wanted. id get a pic but holy crap r these guys fast! he was out of the little container and under the cork bark in his new one before i could take a pic.

...went in to buy some enclosures for roaches im getting soon and left with this little guy. lol my wife said to say thanks @MassExodus !!!! lmao
ROFL, grats man! Yeah..they will spaz out quick. Be prepared during a rehouse..I have to say though, both of mine are pretty chill. When they're not spazzing..lol.

Will

3 Year Member
Good luck!

I fed one of my OBT slings yesterday after it moulted 6 days previous (now about 1.25"). It must have been seriously hungry because it literally jumped from one side of the enclosure to the other, over a piece of bark which was taller than its leg-span, and landed fangs first on a cricket. The most amazing feeding experience I've had yet. Wish I'd filmed it!

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Finally got to see my one and only ^*^ my L violaceopes dragged its latest molt out and naturally stuffed it in its water dish,
then hung out in classic hunt position in its dirt tube :D
going to wait a couple days for feeding her though as I'm not sure when she molted and I asked nicely for her to show me her fangs but she refused.

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
congrats @Entity

I'm surprised petco would sell OW species as they're venomous. I didn't think they could sell venomous animals, at least the one here can't.
All spiders are venomous. OW venom is highly overated (relatively speaking of course). However, they will lead with a bite versus NW that will spray you with horrible annoying urticrating hairs before they bite you!!! :T:.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yeah its just the bite carries with it more severe symptoms that last longer. But i still dont think PETCO and places like that should be selling them. I think that is going down a road that will turn out negative for the hobby.

Meludox

3 Year Member
yeah its just the bite carries with it more severe symptoms that last longer. But i still dont think PETCO and places like that should be selling them. I think that is going down a road that will turn out negative for the hobby.
Agreed, I'm just imagining all of the naive people who may buy one not knowing of the potential speed/aggressiveness that they now have on their hands. Unless, PETCO was advertising them with said warning?

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We don't deal with PETCO in the UK but I'm not liking those guys the more I read about them. Sounds like our Living dead/killing world.

http://pmdd.proboards.com

They're just a big box store that hires people off the street for minimum wage with no training and expects them to know what they're doing. All the big box stores do that here in the states. I spent 1.5 years in one, loved the job, i got to work in the garden center in the summer and help all the ladies in bikinis and sun dresses coming back from, or going to the lake a few miles down the road :) in the fall and winter i was the floater that worked all over the store.

Company sucked, they don't care for the employees. The management would go out of their way to find reasons to let the seasoned people go that were getting paid well to hire people in at minimum wage so the management got a better bonus. From talking with other stores in the chain that was common practice.

Never again will I work in a retail big box store :)

Sam Sam

3 Year Member
Sounds bad. Killing world have been in the newspapers numerous times and even shut down before. They kept their animals in a really bad condition. Many were infested or really sick. Animals died in that shop yet people still bought them. All they did was change hands. It does seem better now although I did see a dead P.Metallica the other week squashed against its critter box. I can't help going in....if I see an animal being mistreat I want to kick off about it so it's kinda like I feel I have to check on them.

http://pmdd.proboards.com

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is the problem though, none of us can resist saving any creature that looks to be badly kept, so we buy and they just get more to sell because they know more suckers like us will come along.

Latest posts