• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My equador pink toe sling died :(

jon ross

3 Year Member
Hi martin. I like your enclosures, i have the same sort of tubs but mine are the other way up. Ive just fed and misted the others and ill let you know if they have eaten by tomo. Ive gone back to bits of cricket as thats the only thing ive ever seen them eat.

Im going to make some perspex, front opening small enclosures soon so i can maintain it without disturbing the ts so much. I want to make all my enclosures front opening for ease of maintence.

Thank you for all the input and advise. Its been a great help

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi martin. I like your enclosures, i have the same sort of tubs but mine are the other way up. Ive just fed and misted the others and ill let you know if they have eaten by tomo. Ive gone back to bits of cricket as thats the only thing ive ever seen them eat.

Im going to make some perspex, front opening small enclosures soon so i can maintain it without disturbing the ts so much. I want to make all my enclosures front opening for ease of maintence.

Thank you for all the input and advise. Its been a great help

Its a pleasure,good luck with the Avics hope all turns out well. I want to add this as well,with top opening enclosures or even front ones when you have cage maintenance you will still disturb the T. Say you have a mite infestation which will be substrate related,with a top or front enclosure the T's home is part of a solid enclosure thus will be part of the maintenance. With my upside down ones,I can remove substrate clean it get rid of any unwanted elements and not once touch or disturb the T. This I can honestly vouch for,but again up to you and what you decide. I'm looking at easy care,maintenance etc. I've also drawn up a design which will be made from glass on the same principal, this has just been a theory that was tested now I will start with better looking enclosures. I won't be using perspex but glass, and the design works exactly on the same I've been using.

Last edited:

jon ross

3 Year Member
Cool. It would be good to see whst you come up with. I was just going to use perspex as i can cut it myself. Im still unsure of what glue to use as i dont want to poison them.

Yea i thought the mites might have come from the subsrate as they have come back in the chilles tank but not the smithis (chille didnt seen to like cocohut media and i had to change back to peat)

Heres some pics of encloures

These have a strip of cork bark inside too

This was before the subtrate change

This is the one that died :(

This is the avic avic and versicolor slings

And i know its off topic but hes my fav pic of my smithi

And last but not least my chille

I do have a curly hair sling too but shesa scardy cat. She just ducks and hides and i cant get a pic cos shes soooooo small. But shes a good eater and has moulted once since sling ownership

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
With my style,its only meant for arboreal. Also looking at the sling that died,that looks like an Avicularia Purpurea ? Not a species Ecuador ,maybe another photo ? Its easy to see a Purpurea, they look a lot like Versi color slings instead of the blue they have black.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol. I only use the common names as i cant say nor spell the proper names lol

Haha,its okay. The scientific name is
- Avicularia Purpurea
So I was spot on with what I saw,these are hardy Avics I have a few. They turn into the most beautiful metallic purple,truly a beautiful Avic. These and the Versi color,Laeta and one or two others are easily distinguishable as slings.

jon ross

3 Year Member
One of the hardyest? Ah man that makes me feel worse lol. Defo want to get another one tho

creaturekeeper 91

3 Year Member
I think I'm going to have to start offering cricket parts to my A. Diversipes if he doesn't eat a small cricket today. He just finished molting so I just assume that's why it hasn't eaten in a week