• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My beautiful A. Genic is dying :(

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It happened quite suddenly. She'd been moving around in her tank, although she'd not gone for her prey which is a bit unusual.
Last night she went to her water dish (which always had fresh water in it), she ended up going all the way in and this morning she was still in there but looked like she was in a half death curl and the dish was nearly empty.
I opened the lid and gently tapped next to her legs to see if I got a reaction... nothing. I then touched her legs and other than a slight twitch, still nothing, so I used the pinch grip and lifted her. She was soaking wet around her mouth, but no white stuff or anything discoloured and when I gently wiped it the fangs looked and felt intact. Abdomen looks fine, too, nice colour, no signs of dehydration or parasites (at least none you could see with your bare eyes).
The only other thing I could think of is outside influences like cleaning detergents? I don't use any toxins (like spot on flea or tic treatment for the dogs), but could it be the carpet cleaning spray Vanish(she was on the bottom shelf, so would have probably been the most exposed to anything like that)? My GBB sling died with similar symptoms only not as sudden. I've put her into ICU for now, but I think she's already gone :(.
She was 100% female, but only maybe about 5 years old max.
I'll move my others to another room just in case there is something in here that harms them.
I'm just really upset, because she was one of my favourites, docile and confident and she made me laugh when attacking the droplets when I refilled her water dish or digging out prey that thought it was smart by hiding under the substrate.
zdeQbX2.jpg

Her first day with us
sgoAUJN.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm so sorry, it's so very hard to lose a beloved T before it time.

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks. She's gone now :(. I think she was already dead this morning and the twitching was just the nerves.
Still couldn't find anything other than her mouth being wet, but she sat in her water dish all night and then on the wet paper towel in ICU. I've binned everything in her tank just in case.
I really don't want to lose any more of my critters.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry for your loss...when they pass with no explanation it just makes it worse...in answer to the cleaning stuff, I used strong bleach in the bathroom off my bedroom (t room), and noticed my spiders closest to the door hunching down in unnatural curls, not death curls but like they were distressed. I closed the door and opened windows and turned on the fan quick. I use much weaker products now, with caution. Not saying that's what did it, just stating my own experience with cleaning products. Im fairly certain I killed one of my spiders by petting my dog after a bath..and then rehousing her and mixing the spiders substrate with my hands, without washing them. That may be how I lost my E posticus roach colony as well. Its easy to forget and make mistakes. Its also easy to blame yourself, both of those instances could have been unrelated to flea baths, I just don't know for sure. Sometimes healthy looking spiders just die...but you know that. How are your dogs doing? I enjoy your picture threads of them. That wolfdog...what a beauty!

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sorry for your loss...when they pass with no explanation it just makes it worse...in answer to the cleaning stuff, I used strong bleach in the bathroom off my bedroom (t room), and noticed my spiders closest to the door hunching down in unnatural curls, not death curls but like they were distressed. I closed the door and opened windows and turned on the fan quick. I use much weaker products now, with caution. Not saying that's what did it, just stating my own experience with cleaning products. Im fairly certain I killed one of my spiders by petting my dog after a bath..and then rehousing her and mixing the spiders substrate with my hands, without washing them. That may be how I lost my E posticus roach colony as well. Its easy to forget and make mistakes. Its also easy to blame yourself, both of those instances could have been unrelated to flea baths, I just don't know for sure. Sometimes healthy looking spiders just die...but you know that. How are your dogs doing? I enjoy your picture threads of them. That wolfdog...what a beauty!
Thanks. I don't think it was any dog product, as the worming tablet they're getting does fleas as well (and costs a bleeding fortune lol). We had to use more carpet cleaner than usual though due to having the pup in the house. Obviously she could have had internal parasites, too, but I'm not going to carry out a post mortem on her. It's a great shame as she was one of my favourites and had a lovely character and was the complete opposite of what you often hear about Genics, as in she was docile and never even so much threw a threat pose or flicked hair.
The dogs are doing great. My little wolfie is coming on fantastically. He's 17 weeks now and weighs about 20kg (and he's one of the lighter ones of the litter). He's got a great temperament and when we're out and about, he's so well behaved (apart from assuming every dog wants to play rough). He's a bit of a celebrity around here, most people know him before they know me, lol (I can live with that). I'll update my thread eventually.

Thank you everyone else for your posts, too.