• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Most hardy breeder insect?

Roo

3 Year Member
I was wondering what peoples opinions are on the hardiest feeder species? I want to set up a few more colonies where (like the beetles/worms) I can keep them in the shed outside and when it's cold bring them in.

... Something that doesn't make a lot of noise would be a bonus.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Most people would probably tell you roaches, but I live in Florida where those are illegal to have.

Rockpython

3 Year Member
Dubia roaches are one of the best. They can't climb smooth surfaces, no stink, no noise. Reproduces best at about 90F Con: SOME spiders don't like them, they play dead, they bury.

B. latteralis is next best, can reproduce at room temp (albeit, slowly )

Con: blazing speed.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Dubia roaches are one of the best. They can't climb smooth surfaces, no stink, no noise. Reproduces best at about 90F Con: SOME spiders don't like them, they play dead, they bury.

B. latteralis is next best, can reproduce at room temp (albeit, slowly )

Con: blazing speed.
I've got a starter colony of 150 laterallis coming in the mail. Now I'm reading that an escape in a home could be a very bad thing..lmao..they can't climb, but apparently males can jump? I'm seriously reconsidering this idea now..at least I can keep my dubia contained, and they SAY they won't breed at room temperature..soooo, anyone have a bad experience with laterallis? Apparently they're an invasive species that has spread all the way from Cali across the southwest..to Texas...I'm in Texas...

Roo

3 Year Member
I've got a starter colony of 150 laterallis coming in the mail. Now I'm reading that an escape in a home could be a very bad thing..lmao..they can't climb, but apparently males can jump? I'm seriously reconsidering this idea now..at least I can keep my dubia contained, and they SAY they won't breed at room temperature..soooo, anyone have a bad experience with laterallis? Apparently they're an invasive species that has spread all the way from Cali across the southwest..to Texas...I'm in Texas...

From what I understand they are hella fast but not much different from your Dubai

Fleas

3 Year Member
One thing that I'll like about B laterallis is that they don't bury them self and hide from our t's they run around and get their attention way better than Dubai. I also think the t's like there soft exoskeleton. On other hand there invasion as hell but you should not have a problem if you spray your home for bugs which I don't do but some keepers do with no problem have fun with your new Roche's:)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just to be sure, put a 2" band of petroleum jelly along the top. With care, they won't get out
Ya I've decided I'm just going to be very careful. I don't think it will be a problem. I didn't look at the dates on the 2 threads I was reading..they were around the time latteralis were just getting popular in the hobby, so people were paranoid. Which transfered to me..I have a small dog that kills any bug that dares enter my room outside of an enclosure :) That includes flies, I've seen her snatch them out of the air like a boss:D She's one of many reasons I don't handle invertebrates often..